Acer Tc-705 Gpu Upgrade Help

jjones
jjones Member Posts: 16 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives
Hi I'm planning on upgrading my Acer tc-705 with a MSI gtx 750ti. I've done hours and possibly weeks of research seeing whether this card will work with my pre built PC or not. I've come to the conclusion that it will work but its better to upgrade my PSU sooner than later. Can I have some second opinions here on the Acer community site. Do you guys think I can run this card for at least 6 months?I have a 300w fsp 300 60(tha1) PSU with 8A on the 12v1 rail and 14a on the 12v2. I'm more worried about the wattage though so any thoughts will help!

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

A few people have reported that the 750ti and everything worked fine with that exact power supply on the same motherboard.  The wattage should be fine with FSP 300W.  I have that power supply too (and same motherboard) and was torn about what to do.  I went ahead and just upgraded the power supply........i.e. I chickened out.  I found a 450W Seasonic 80 plus gold on a black friday sale for $53.00 shipped.

The fan on my FSP 300W was starting to get a little loud (not really loud, but annoying tone) so it wasn't that hard of a decision in the end.

I'm not familiar the size of the MSI version of the card as to whether it will fit or not..

Edit: but I didn't buy the 750ti

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    Answer ✓

A few people have reported that the 750ti and everything worked fine with that exact power supply on the same motherboard.  The wattage should be fine with FSP 300W.  I have that power supply too (and same motherboard) and was torn about what to do.  I went ahead and just upgraded the power supply........i.e. I chickened out.  I found a 450W Seasonic 80 plus gold on a black friday sale for $53.00 shipped.

The fan on my FSP 300W was starting to get a little loud (not really loud, but annoying tone) so it wasn't that hard of a decision in the end.

I'm not familiar the size of the MSI version of the card as to whether it will fit or not..

Edit: but I didn't buy the 750ti

• jjones
    Wow thanks so much for the quick and helpful response!!! I knew coming to the Acer community sites was a good idea. Anyways I linked a photo of the inside of my pc and I'm a little bit concerned about those two black cables close to the pcie slot. One of them, the one on the right is a USB header cable i think and the other one on the left is supposidley a front panel audio cable. Will either of these cables get into the way? I'm planning on getting the msi gtx 750ti off newegg.ca I don't have a link but its 160$ and its NOT the twin frozer one.Will it have enough space or do I need to unplug those cables?
    IMG_20151230_133626760.jpg
  • JordanB

I can't remember what the black cable is to the left of the PCIe x16 slot.  But your video card *should* rise above that one so it shouldn't be in the way.  The one on the right (the USB 3.0 cable) can be modified to not be a problem if necessary using the link below.  The distance between the USB 3.0 cable and the back of the case is approximately 170-173 mm depending on which time you measure. Smiley Wink

I installed a card that says it is 170mm long on the spec page.  Yet I still have about 3 mm of extra space before the USB 3.0 cable gets in the way. The problem is......not all graphics card manufacturers list the measurements the same on their specs.  Some measure to the bracket or outputs and some don't.  And sometimes the spec pages get it wrong (unintentional errors). 

http://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-3.0-20%252dPin-Internal-Header-Ribbon-Cable-(Low-Profile-Connector).html?gclid=CPigp8W4zscCFQataQod1BUPgA

I assume the 750ti that you're talking about does not require a 6 pin connector.  Some 750ti require a 6 pin connector e.g. EVGA FTW 750ti.  If it requires a 6 pin connector, it wont work.  But I assume you've already researched that part. There's lots of different 750 ti.  Most don't require a 6 pin connector from PSU....they just draw power from the PCIe x16 slot.

By the way, did you put that black Wifi antenna in that location or did Acer?

• jjones
    So i should be fine on spacing. Anyways I think Acer put that black wifi antenna there cause I didn't touch it at all
  • JordanB

Ok.  Thanks for the quid pro quo on the antenna.  They appear to have changed the black antenna location on the TC-705.  Thats good to know.

Let us know how the graphic card install goes. 

• jjones
    OK! So i finally got the gtx 750ti and for anyone whos wondering, it runs great on 300w and in the acer tc-705. Ive run into only one problem and im wondering if you can help me Jordan. When i installed the card i was forced to unplug the black cablr on the left which was audio(1). This means no left speaker audio or headphone compatability. Can you please give me advice on what to do. Its annoying only having right audio in my speakers.
  • JordanB

It's affecting both front and back audio outputs?

Here are the only things I can think of.....

1.  Use the audio outputs on back of case

2.  Google to see if  you can find a low profile cable extension

3.  Get a different card.  Here's the card that I bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121916

4. Disable the sound on your computer and buy a PCIe x1 sound card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

I'm sorry.....I'm out of ideas.

• JordanB

One more thought....

If your monitor has audio output(s)....you can use that.  It will use the Intel Display audio.

• jjones
    I fixed the audio problem by using a splitter haha never thought that would work. Anyways, now another problem has come up! After playing a game like battlefield 4 for around 35 minutes to 1 hour, my display will go black and will either crash to the desktop or will continue to remain black and go into power saving mode. Through all this my computer itself stays on just the display will crash or go into power saving mode and lose signal. Ive tried so many different ways of fixing it but nothing worked at all. I checked the temperature in case it was heat but im only getting around 65 degrees Celsius at full load. I asked some people and someone said it could be my motherboard so now i have no clue what to do. Can you please help me out im really mad that my card is not working like how i wanted it to.
  • JordanB

I don't know what to tell you.

We have same motherboard.

I use this card.

This power supply.

I don't have any problem playing BF4 for 35 minutes. I don't think I've played longer than 35 minutes....and I die frequently.  I play on the optimized 1080p settings given by GeForce Experience (mostly Ultra and High).  And have latest GeForce driver.  My temps are definitely higher than 67 degrees C.   If you're having problems, try auto settings.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

I have pushed temps in benchmarking with Valley to 81 degrees C. and don't have any problems.  I don't recommend that you do that, but I needed to know out of curiousity.  Smiley Happy

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2208/unigine-valley-benchmark-1-0/mirrors

I don't use any additional case fans, but the PC is in a 68 degree F. room.

Maybe you should just send the card back while you still can.  And go with plan B.  I think the people that have used 750ti used mostly EVGA version....but I don't know if that will work for your circumstances.

• jjones

Is my gpu being stressed? I run the game on a mix of high and ultra with no AA and i get locked 60fps. I have no idea why i would have to play at auto settings. This sucks i might just return the card and never get involved with pc gaming again. One final note, do you think disableing the on board graphics would fix it?

• JordanB

I don't know if your GPU is being stressed.  You should probably contact your GPU manufacturer technical support.

I think your on-board graphics was disabled automatically when you inserted the card.

Here's what EVGA tech support (the moderator) says...............

'77c is still very reasonable for a GTX 750"

http://forums.evga.com/I-am-worried-Max-temps-on-my-GTX-750-SC-hitting-77C-m2205587.aspx

Like I said, the people that have posted in this forum about 750ti.... have used the EVGA version of the card. There's several different versions of the MSI card and the EVGA card...but you haven't posted which exact card you're using.

I'm sure MSI tech supoort can tell you what the deal is or tell you how to get a refund.

The TC-705 is not the best case in the world for cooling a third party graphics card, but I would think a card should be able to handle more than 65 C before overheating.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire/Aspire-TC605-upgrade/td-p/398521/page/3

My card has no problem at 81 C. on the same motherboard as what you have.

Maybe you just need the EVGA version of the card.

• jjones

Man I completley forgot about this thread hahah!! Anyways, I underclocked my gpu by 140ish because a quick MSI afterburner test in game showed that my core clock was 1176 when it shouldve be 1020. The underclock fixed it for battlefield 4. With other games like nfsmw(2012) and Just Cause 2, I would get the black screen with the pc still running. I think it's the games fault though if battlefield 4 works because its harder to run than both those games. One more thing, if i wanted to see how much power my pc was using at the moment how would i do that? I want to know if im stressing out my power supply. Thanks for all the help.

• HelpMePOutPleas
    HelpMePOutPleas Member Posts: 1 New User

I have recently decided to upgrade my 745 card to a 1060. The problem is the power supply. do you know if the power supply is interchangeable?

• JordanB

Yes, you can upgrade your power supply.  You need a standard ATX power supply.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/is-GTX-750ti-compatible-and-readily-installable-in-an-ATC-705/m-p/453331#M8565

• KleisMonster
    KleisMonster Member Posts: 3 New User

I was reading up in this forum becuase there is a lightly used Acer Aspire TC-705 for sale in my area for really cheap and was possibly going to upgrade it and give it to a friend. I was curious about your set up Jordan, I'm fine with putting a new PSU you in it so i can in turn add a better GPU into it. I saw that you have a GTX 960 mini in it, and you said that you have the same MOBO as this pc, so the 960 didn't get in the way of the audio cable for you? and also do you have it in the same case as the TC-705? Im curious what kind of dimensions of GPU will fit in here. Just by the looks of it, it couldn't be very tall because it would run into the header cables... but also how long could it be? Is there room for a dual fan model?

• JordanB

1. I installed the graphics card in link below

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/GTX960MOC2GD5/specifications/

2. It didn't get in the way of the audio or USB 3.0 cable.  But there is only 1-3 mm to spare.  It's tight.

3. It's possible to install a longer card (dual fan) by using the mod below.  I don't recommend it. I didn't have to use the mod because I bought a mini that barely fit.  A longer, dual fan 750 or 950 or 1050 might be OK, but a long 960 or 1060 will run too hot in the case in my opinion....even with a 92mm case fan in either the tc-605 case or tc-705 case.  Someone told me they installed a long dual fan 970 and it ran way too hot.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-3.0-20%252dPin-Internal-Header-Ribbon-Cable-(Low-Profile-Connector).html?gclid=CPigp8W4zscCFQataQod1BUPgA

This is basically the same computer and case that I have:

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-tc-605-ub11-core-i5-4440-3-1-ghz-8-gb-1-tb/specs/

If the person is a 1080p gamer, take a look at the 1050 and see if it will fit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487291

Important Note:  I can't guarantee that any card you buy will fit.  Good luck.

• KleisMonster
    KleisMonster Member Posts: 3 New User

So for that card fitting, curious where the USB 3.0 header lands... Is the card just thin enough that it stays above the header or is it short enough that it doesn't reach that far towards the drive cages?

• JordanB

Try searching the forum for TC-605 or TC-705.  Or maybe even XC-605 or XC-705.  I'm not trying to be rude. Smiley Happy  But I've typed answers to all your questions about 30 times in this forum.

My ASUS GTX 960 mini doesn't stay above the USB 3.0 header.  It falls about 3 mm short of hitting the cable.  If you purchase a graphics card that passes over the header, you'll need the low profile USB 3.0 cable mod that I've posted in my previous post and also about 100 times on this forum.  Smiley Happy

The link below is the power supply that I'm using.  It's standard ATX dimensions.  On the TC-605, you must use standard ATX power supply dimensions.  Not sure about TC-705

• Dimension (WxLxH): 150.0 x 140.0 x 86.0 mm

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-s12g-450-power-supply-review/

Your questions imply that you want a big, long dual fan card.  My advice is to steer clear of a long dual fan card.  Neither the TC-605 nor the TC-705 was designed for a long dual fan card.....from a fit standpoint and a cooling standpoint.

Take a look at the shorter cards.  A 1050 short card is an excellent 1080p card and **should** work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487291

evga1050.PNG

Good luck!!