Acer Aspire TC-780 delay on boot

Chris7
Chris7 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I purchased a Crucial CT275MXSSD4, installed on motherboard of my TC-780, cloned software from existing HDD, then wiped HDD clean. Works beautifully except on boot at BIOS screen (press DEL to enter BIOS etc..) there is a delay of 20 seconds before Windows loads. Windows loads very quickly and everything else seems OK but I don't understand the long delay before starting Windows.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

no, you need to update using R02 version only.

try this to update:

ok, copy the WIN and ROM folders to c:\

then press windows logo key + x

click on Command prompt (admin) or power shell (admin)

then type

cd c:\WIN

flash.bat

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

which BIOS version is installed on your TC-780?

have you tried booting with SSD only?

• Chris7

BIOS Version is R02-A0 dated 17/11/16.

I tried booting with the HDD disconnected and there is still a 20 sec delay.

• IronFly

ok, please update your BIOS:

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_R02.A2_A_A.zip?acerid=636256846846031771&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20TC-780&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

unzip the file and double click FLASH.bat inside WIN folder, when it reboots press Del key to enter BIOS then press F9 to load defaults and F10 to save and exit.

check boot time.

• Chris7

Followed your instructions. When I double click on the flash.bat file Windows 10 tries to stop install, so I selected "install anyway". There is a momentary flash of a DOS screen (no time to see what is on it) and that is all. When I reboot the BIOS is still at R02-A0. I tried downloading from the Acer support site and had the same result. I notice an earlier Version R01.A1 is meant to fix my problem. Should I give that a try? I don't understand why the .BAT file isn't working.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

no, you need to update using R02 version only.

try this to update:

ok, copy the WIN and ROM folders to c:\

then press windows logo key + x

click on Command prompt (admin) or power shell (admin)

then type

cd c:\WIN

flash.bat

• Chris7

Thanks very much for your help. Your last methodology worked like a charm, although I had a few anxious moments when rebooting produced a blank screen but pressing delete a few times eventually got me into the BIOS and after another couple of boots everything settled down. Splash screen only present for 3-4 seconds now and then a fast boot.

Again - thank you.

• buddy2
    buddy2 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi There, I too have the same slow boot issue with the same m.2 ssd.  I also have a TC-780 (link below).  I installed the most recent

R02-A3 which didn't seem to help.  Should i try R02.A2 or R02.A1 ?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/6817?b=1&pn=DT.B89AA.012

• IronFly

no, ther A2 and A1 are older version.

try a BIOS load default settings:

enter BIOS pressin Del key at boot

press F9 to load defaults and then F10 to save and exit

• buddy2

Thanks, will try tonight and let you know how i make out.

• buddy2

First off, just want to say, i appreciate you helping me.  I think i may have figured out what my problem is.  After installing Win 10 on the m2 ssd, i formated my D drive.  For some reason, i still have 2 windows 10 showing under :

control panel / system and security / system / adv system settings / setttings / system startup / default operating system.

This is where it lists " time to display list of operating systems" ... currently set to 20 seconds Smiley Happy    which explains my delay at startup

After 2 or 3 reboots came the blue screen......

"choose your operating system ......windows 10 or windows 10"

Under disk management - my d drive still has 3 parts 1) healthy efi system 2) healthy partion 3) healthy recovery partition.

Is this causing the confusion?

Thanks...