ACER Aspire X3400 Motherboard Replacement

mikecav
mikecav Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Good day,

I have an Aspire X3400 that needs a replacement motherboard. Is there a motherboard available for this? See image for specs.

Aspire X3400.JPG

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer

Hello,

1. Do you use the pre-installed version of Windows (shipped with the desktop)?
    2. Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • mikecav

Hi Laurent,

1. No, I updated to windows 10 when it was offered.

2. S/N: PTSE202030

I've added a few pics of the motherboard in case it helps.

Thanks for your reply

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0945.JPGIMG_0946.JPGIMG_0947.JPG

• laurent_14

Hello,

Thanks for all these informations. You used Windows 7 pre-installed and updated it to Windows 10. As the Windows license key is "linked" with the motherboard, you have to order/buy this one from an Acer parts partner. FYI, the part number is:

Spoiler
    MB.SE201.002MAIN BD.MCP78PV.AX3400

About Windows OEM license:

Spoiler
    "Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer except the motherboard and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the Microsoft Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by those terms. The Microsoft Software License Terms are a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer, and relate only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it."

In which country do you live?

France
  • mikecav

Hi Laurent,

I live in Queensland Australia.

• laurent_14

Hi Mike, Smiley Happy

Here is the list of Acer parts resellers: Link. You'll also need the full serial number or SNID of your desktop to order the motherboard.

France
  • mikecav

Thanks Laurent,

I've contacted the nearest reseller on link provided, unfortunately the motherboard is no longer available.

Looks as though I'll have to start from scratch.

Thanks for all your help