why is my wifi so weak now? i have to be in the same room with the router to connect.

SoTxJoe
SoTxJoe Member Posts: 15 New User

Since a couple of weeks ago, i literally have to hold my Acer tablet within ten feet of my router to connect. All my other devices - PC, laptop, smartphones, printer, etc - work all over the house and even out in my yard. What happened?

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

There have been instances where the antenna wires become detached from the Wifi module. If you are out of warranty I'd either find a good technician to take it apart and reseat the connectors or do it yourself (look for online tear-downs to see how it comes apart).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SoTxJoe

*FIXED-IT-ALERT*

Thanks Billsey. i was chatting with an Acer tech and while he was telling me he couldn't help me and he couldn't send me any drawings or schematics, i watched a youtube video showing how to take the cover off and while he was telling me no one at Acer could even tell me which wire was the wifi, i found it. It's the flat brass connector right in the middle just to the left of the battery. After lifting it to see the antenna socket, i applied a little pressure and it clicked into place. Lucky for me it looks just like the wifi antenna wire connection on a laptop. 

One thing i have discovered is that so far the tablet itself is somewhat of a disappointment and what Acer considers to be "support" is abyssimal. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Good to hear! I don't know what the issue is with the antenna connectors, but a good percentage of people with Wifi issues have the problem (which seems to happen to a very small percentage of owners overall). I'm guessing there was one or more workers who just did not put enough pressure into seating the connectors in the first place and over time they gradually work loose.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alicepattinson
    alicepattinson Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter

Did you try to restart your phone and your wifi router?

• Winettaross
    Winettaross Member Posts: 1 New User

I think what you say is correct but how do I open the Acer A1-830

• SoTxJoe

To open the case, you need a very thin blade to work between chrome edge and the back. Once it starts to separate, it's pretty easy to take off. The back itself is a very, very thin skin/shell. If you have seen the way the antenna clips to the wifi receiver on a laptop, you will recognize it on the a1-830. It is in the middle right next to the battery.