Source Device

Jackman
Jackman Member Posts: 12 New User

what determines the "source device" for a tablet??  Using a Iconia A!-810 tablet.  This is a complete new experience for me so sorry if my question is elementary.............

Best Answer

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

There is no source device with the cloud (or, if we want to play with words, cloud became the source).

With Dropbox, you have a 2 Gb space on a server. Your account/space is protected with your ID and password.

With PC 1, you copy a file in your space. This file is now available for PC 2 and your A1.

And, if you want, you can give to anyone the link of this file for downloading.

Answers

• Philman

On a network, it's the device from which the data are originated.

The sink or destination device is the device that receives data.

For example, if you plug your A1 to a PC:

- A1 is a source device if you copy a file to the PC

- A1 is a destination device if you copy a file from the PC

• Jackman

Thanks!  Apparently you can only have one source.  If you have 2 pc's with files you want you must transfer those from the other pc to the source pc.  I'm learning!!

• Jackman

When I originally setup my tablet, I did it on a pc that I would not be using for the source device.  When I installed on my regular pc, it still shows the previous pc as the source device.  What did I miss?

• Philman

Yes and no!

It depends of your network. With a wifi network, you can use Airdroid - for example - on each PC and on your A1.

But, for me, i prefer to use Dropbox - or any cloud app - to transfer files. It's quick, easy and safe. You just have to create an account and install app on each device. Of course, you need an internet connection!

• Jackman

How would that change my source device?

• Philman
    Answer ✓

There is no source device with the cloud (or, if we want to play with words, cloud became the source).

With Dropbox, you have a 2 Gb space on a server. Your account/space is protected with your ID and password.

With PC 1, you copy a file in your space. This file is now available for PC 2 and your A1.

And, if you want, you can give to anyone the link of this file for downloading.

• Jackman

Thanks I will take a look.  As I have said, I am new to tablets and Android...............

This discussion has been closed.