Problem updateing A501 to version 4.0.3

dustyniche
dustyniche Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi;

I just bought a refurbished Iconia A501.  It came with Android version 3.2.  I have set the tablet up and am trying to update to Android 4.0.3 (or whatever is available now for the A501).  When I press the Check Now button in System Update I get a message telling me that the network coverage is currently poor and it will not go get the update.

I'm in the same room as the router and my wifi setting says I have an excellent connection (all bars are lit on the connection icon with 65 Mbps link speed).

Is there any other way to get Android 4.0.3?  I mean can I download it to an SD card or USB drive and install it from there?

Thanks in advance for any suggesstions on how to fix this problem or where to download an update.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Is there a chance that it's trying to use the 3G for the download? Check to see if it'll use WiFi instead.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dustyniche

This seemed like a really good suggestion.  Something I had overlooked since I've never had a tablet with a data connection.  I foound the Mobile Networks menu choice, removed the checkmark from Data Network(?) and like most settings with a checkmark this appeared to turn off the 3G connection.  Upon backing out of this section i noticed that the Mobile Networks menu choice was no longer there - Bummer.

Anyway, with data turned off and wifi on I still get the same message about the poor connection.

I've reset the tablet back to factory settings, but the Mobile Network menu choice does not re-appear.  Now I'm really screwed.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    You can download the update to 4.0.3 in the acer support website.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dustyniche

OK, now for an update.

In trying to figure out why my A501 could not do a system update I found that I needed the FOTA patch installed before the system update would perform properly.  During two online chats I was first told to download the FOTA patch to my PC and then move it over to the tablet and install.  The next chat I was told to download it directly to the tablet and install.

The patch that downloads is a .apk file.  I can cownload it to my PC and move it via USB connection to my tablet.  For some reason the file will not download directly to the tablet.  The download seems to hang.  In any case I cannot find instructions on how to install the patch once it's downloaded.

The other piece of infromation I found is that Acer says it does not have a 4.0.3 update for the A501 (even though it does for the A500).

Does anyone have instructions for downloading and installing the FOTA patch?  No matter what, the A501 needs this patch before it will check for any available updates.

Thanks!

• IronFly

If it's an .apk, you can install it with any file explorer on your tablet.

Try estrongs file explorer from play google, it's free.

After you installed the file explorer, browse where you copied the .apk, tap it and follow the instructions.

• smitz
    smitz Member Posts: 1 New User

Were you able to get the A501 updated to 4.0.3?  If so, do you have a link where you downloaded the apk file from?  I can't find it ont he Acer support pages.  Thanks.

• dprysiazny
    dprysiazny Member Posts: 1 New User

has anyone found out a real solution to this problem? I've download the update enhancement app acer has put out and it has not made any difference!! please somebody help!!

• IronFly

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/3852;-;A501

select 4.0 ICS, click on OS tab.

there's a list of update images, i don't know if this can be usefull.

• PhilW
    PhilW Member Posts: 6 New User

hi, you link to those images in a number of threads, but they dont have any instructions on what to do with those images. would you know by chance?

• IronFly
    • Do a backup of your personal data, just to be 100% safe
    • Download the zip file to your pc
    • unzip it
    • Connect the tablet to PC via USB cable and copy the update.zip file to your microSD (microSD is needed to update)
    • Disconnect the device and switch it off so that it can entered in Recovery mode (you can do so, by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons until you see the Recovery mode screen)
    • Select Install Zip from SD Card > Choose Zip from SD Card. Now, choose the Jelly Bean package that you have copied in the device
    • Once the update is applied, choose ++++Go Back++++ option and then select Reboot System Now to reboot the device

if your device will stuck on bootloop or on Acer logo, from recovery

• Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Wipe Cache Partition. Clear the Dalvik Cache in the recovery mode to ensure all the cache files are deleted (this will delete all the user data)
  • PhilW

excellent. now is there a way to find out which image i need. i know this tablet is running 3.2 but thats all. thanks again.

phil

• IronFly

settings/about phone/ build version

compare yours to the rom listed on Acer support website

• PhilW

i was afraid of that. my build number is acer_a501_4.452.01_pa_rog . i dont see an image that coresponds with that rom. thus why im here. thanks again for the help.

Phil

• IronFly

You welcome, but i can't do much more. Smiley Happy

• billsey

I'm not familiar with the pa_rog locale. Where are you located, or if you bought the tablet in a different country, which country did you buy it in?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PhilW
    Canada and Canada. Smiley Sad
  • billsey

If you go to the Acer site for Canada, then navigate to support does it show you that version as available for download? I know they typically only show the downloads appropriate for the locale, so if you've been using the US site it wouldn't have had your version.

• PhilW
    No, I'm on the Canadian version of the site. Nothing that fits the rom I have. Ugh
  • billsey

Maybe one of the Acer folks will be able to tell us what locale that ROM is for...

• PhilW
    Well the tablet was purchased in Canada from Rogers. This ks a fact. Why the roms in the is section of the support page dont match what I have is beyond me. I tried Acer support in a chat and nobody responded. Literally placed in line waited twice, finally got an agent who just idled. This is a hand me down to my little cousin. Granted they probably dont know the difference between versions of android, but the geek in me what's to solve this.