Kidproofing an Acer Iconia A1-810 -- locking apps

Silverleaf
Silverleaf Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, everyone. We recently got our first tablet, an Acer Iconia A1-810. It's technically our 6-year-old's, so there are quite a few games/learning apps on it, all ones we've purchased to avoid him clicking on ads. However, like most kids he's curious enough to discover the inner workings of the tablet and is always in the Google Play store, trying to download new games. And as hard as we've tried to avoid any games with ads, ads do occasionally pop up.

My question: is there any way to "lock" the button in the lower centre of the screen that takes one directly to all the apps on the device? Or any way to lock particular apps to make them inaccessible? Can anyone offer any other tips to make this device a bit more child-friendly/child "proof"? Even hiding certain things in the app screen?

Thanks for any tips/advice.

Answers

• poiran
    poiran Member Posts: 3 New User
    I use an app called Kids Place from Kiddoware. Once started it presents a screen with "allowed apps", and Kids Place can't be exited without a pin code. I use this in combination with a second user account in the Iconia. The first account has a pin code protection, the second has no protection. In the second account the only visible app on start screen is kids place. Not perfect protection, but works for a 3 year old. There are many other apps similar to Kids place. Not sure which are good. It would help if Acer updated our tablets to 4.3, multiple user accounts can be handled better there.
  • poiran
    poiran Member Posts: 3 New User
    BTW, a second user account isn't really needed, I just thought it would be a bit extra protection.
This discussion has been closed.