Iconia tab 10 a3-a40 wont wake after deep sleep (power saving mode) !!

Trumpen
Trumpen Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Only way of accessing the tablet after getting "locked down" by deep sleep (or wherever happens in power savings mode)  is rebooting the tablet, extremely annoying, takes time and everything opened is closed down.

Bought this a week ago, allthird party apps has been removed, but the issue is consistent. 

Has Acer built a tablet that can't handle android deep sleep function??  This tablet is soon facing an axe...

[word filter avoidance]

Answers

• Carmanen
    Carmanen Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hmm, i didn't even know there was such a mode or i'm just stupid but thanks for letting me know it has issues so i will continue to not use it Smiley Very Happy Anyway, i'm wondering if Acer plans to update this tablet to Nougat... it uses pure Google's Android so it wouldn't take as long as many other custom skin Android versions like HTC's sense, Huawei's EMUI, LG's UX etc.
  • Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,336 Community Administrator

Hi Trumpen,

We're sorry that you're having issues with your A3-A40 tablet.  Does this happen only when Power Saving mode is on and it has low battery or does it happen even with a full charge?

• Trumpen

Hi, thanks for replying.

It happend regardless of battery level or power saving settings.

I've made factory reset several times, and after this also downloaded the last updated os from the Acer support site (same version but had a month newer date stamp), but the issue was still the same (even when no additional apps had been installed).

I've talked to the Swedish support team and they mentioned it could be a battery issue, so I've sent it to the service center in Germany. I got it back yesterday, and it seems to work ok now.

However the german service technicians only note was: "Cleaned up", which sounds like a load, but anyway, whatever they actually did (changed battery?) seems to work so far.

[inappropriate content removed]

• simon1066
    simon1066 Member Posts: 2 New User

I should mention that this has also been happening to my A3 A40 tablet - probably half a dozen times. The last time it happened it had 50% charge with power saving mode on (has always been on). When it happens it takes a long press - 10/20 secs - to restart. Not happening all the time - last night it stayed in sleep mode (full charge) - so not worth having it looked at yet. I'll keep an eye on it and give feedback if can determine the exact conditions that cause it. Hopefully this can be fixed in a future update.

• mikiaki
    mikiaki Member Posts: 12 New User
    My a3 a40 in never going to sleep or doze,battery life is only 2 hours of sot.I did factory reset wiped cache,but it didn't help.
    Tried to install older version of firmware from recovery,but no luck.
  • simon1066
    simon1066 Member Posts: 2 New User

Happened again today, 75% charge in power saving mode. Turning off battery saver to see if that helps.

• tnok84
    tnok84 Member Posts: 1 New User

my table does the same. regardless of battery % left.

• waco52
    waco52 Member Posts: 4 New User

Mine is doing the same any way to sort this out or can we get it exchanged For a fully working tablet 

• Orillion
    Orillion Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I think mine is doing exactly the same.

First i thought i had to turn it on with the power cable in, that´s not the case. holding in the power button turn´s it on again. 

• Trumpen

Time for a short update on this travesty... It is time to send it to repairs for the second time (bought it two months ago)!

First time as described earlier in this thread, due to that it did not wake up after sleep/idle.

When I got it back, the only note from the Acer repair was "cleaned", however this seems to have solved the sleep issue, and also much improved the battery life (I suspect they replaced the battery).

When I now have had the opportunity to really try it out again (does a lot of travelling) I can conclude that it is even worse then before, but not with the same issue as earlier.

After the "repair" the tablet now:

- Shuts down 8 out of 10 times when plugging in the charger

- Shuts down 8 out of 10 times when inserting the headphones

- Shuts down when putting it down on a table (have to gently place it on a soft surface to keep it alive)

- From time to time interpret the inserted SD card as corrupt (tried three different samsung SDHC PRO cards), when re-inserting the card it runs perfect, but after a few hours it is "corrupt". When removing and inserting again it runs without any problems (until after a few hours again).

- And when managing to connect the headphones without the tablet shutting down, the speakers are not disconnected! So whatever you are listening to, it is also blasted out through the tablet speakers also when the headphones are connected (not too popular by fellow airplane travellers, but on the other hand it goes dark/quiet as it shuts down if we hit a rough air bump, so their misery is not for very long).

So the first "repair technican" seems to have both fitted my tablet with both a short circuit (headphones connectors), and also with the worst case of loose fitting and/or destroyed connectors to the battery... (no they will not refund, unless they have tried to repair the same error two times without success).

(If anyone from Acer would be interested, I will gladly share the support/repair case numbers)

• Orillion
    Orillion Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

i just got an update for my A3-A40, have not installed it yet because it needs to be charged first. But have any of you noticed any batteri improvment ?

• waco52

Update Sent Mine away and replaced Motherboard Updated it as soon as switched got it all working Again and seems to working better Had it back two days and not switched off yet  Went to use it to day and Theres a update So installed it and its a full System reset See how it goes AS for Battery life First Charge said TWO days  Second said Four hours  Cant win Keep you updated 

• VtrIta
    VtrIta Member Posts: 4 New User

It is possible that all we owners of this device A3-A40 have the same problem with the locked standby screen. Today 16 dec 2016 I have installed a new update but the problem is still there. Has anyone managed to solve it? And why does Acer do nothing about it? Thank you.

• mikiaki
    mikiaki Member Posts: 12 New User
    I dont have thet problem with a3 a40,my problem is weak battery,an drein in stand bay.
    I sendit for repair in acer servis,nothing was fixd,they respond thet thet is normal battery dren as eqval as other models of a3 a40??????
    sory fr may bed english.
  • Trumpen
    Hoppfullt last status update.. received it back from the service shop again a couple of weeks ago, now with the info of that the motherboard had been replaced. And this time it actually seems like it works Smiley Happy no shut downs, no "won't wake up" and battery time is much improved. The only thing is that something seems to be pressing against the backside of the display at the top side, giving it à slightly green tint, but given the history, I'll just try to live with it..
  • waco52

Send it back and get motherboard replaced worked with mine 

• waco52

It depends on what you use it for my battery lasts around 12hours. But if watching films it goes down faster Sods law 

• VtrIta

I decided to send my A3-A40 to be repair. I had two issues with my tablet. The first one is the topic of this forum (block after standby mode) and the second one is the green light all around borders of the screen. Let you know the results once I get it back and test it.

• VtrIta

I received my tablet back from service as I sent it to them. It was done nothing: no repairing. The sleeping standby issue was still there and the green screen issue too. Now I am sending back to repair it for the second time. I bought it two months ago and I have been without my tablet for 20 days. Let's see what happen. Let you all know soon. 

• lh2312
    lh2312 Member Posts: 6 New User

Regarding the issue with the locked standby mode I decided to keep my tablet unrepaired (looks like in a lot of cases things get worse after repair....) and continue on a trial-and-error basis to find the reason behind this behaviour. I'm deeply convinced this NOT hardware related, but some software (app or Android) problem.

What I found after numerous test (installations, deactivations, patches for many apps on the tablet....) is:

whenever I deactivate GPS in the settings it works perfectly. Whenever I activate GPS it locks again eventually, especially after physically moving the tablet around over a longer distance (thus my first suspicion this could be GPS related). Right now I'm still experimenting with the different modes of the location services (WLAN, GPS, Bluetooth, cell phone) to find some dependencies. Anyway, switching off GPS completely cures the problem, at least in my case.