Iconia B1 how do I move apps to SD Card

Jcm1363
Jcm1363 Member Posts: 6 New User
I have a 16g micro SD card in my sons B1 but cannot move apps to it, downloaded apps2sd but it says it will not work with this device. Also copied a photo onto the sd card on the pc but when I put the card back in the B1 the photo shows on the internal storage and the sd card shows as empty....help needed please

Best Answer

• roadwarrior796
    roadwarrior796 Member Posts: 273 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

It's a pity you are using Astro it seems more of a faff than the other managers but I've downloaded it and used it to transfer from internal SD (0) to ex SD (1) I opened internal SD, located the file, in this case a screenshot, long touch to highlight, on the left choose "copy", then from the list on the left select ex SD then choose "paste", strangely enough the "move" option would not work but copy did, this is on a JB 4.2 device.

Answers

• roadwarrior796

If your device is Jelly Bean 4.2 it's not possible to move apps to ex SD, this feature was removed from 4.2 you can do it with ICS and 4.1, 4.3 and 4.4. it may be remedied with a firmware update in the future, there is a thread about this on the forum. When you transferred your photo to the SD card in the PC did you check that the PIC was on the card before removing, did you check that the sliding lock on the card adapter was open ?

• Jcm1363
    Thanks for the reply , its 4.1 and I could see the pic on the sd card on my PC , but when I look at the card when its in the B1 it's empty.....
  • roadwarrior796

Suggest you check the SD card through My Computer, I have a 4.1 jb tablet and can, using All in One Toolbox, move apps to my external SD card, the problem is that when companies, Acer, Toshiba, Samsung, whatever, design a tablet, they very seldom put the "stock" version of the Android system in their tablets, preferring to "tweak" it to their own requirements. That is why the same version of jb works differently in different devices. One more thought on your photo issue, when you looked for it on the tablet, did you use a file manager such as ES File Manager to look for it ?

• Jcm1363
    I can see the pic on the external card now, but I still cannot move games,when I look in the Astro file manager, I can see sdcard0 and sdcard1
  • roadwarrior796
    Answer ✓

It's a pity you are using Astro it seems more of a faff than the other managers but I've downloaded it and used it to transfer from internal SD (0) to ex SD (1) I opened internal SD, located the file, in this case a screenshot, long touch to highlight, on the left choose "copy", then from the list on the left select ex SD then choose "paste", strangely enough the "move" option would not work but copy did, this is on a JB 4.2 device.

• Jcm1363
    That's worked , thanks very much for your help...
  • roadwarrior796

No worries, glad you got it sorted out :-)

• tfdjr
    tfdjr Member Posts: 3 New User

I have a B1 just got it. Tried both astro and toolbox and still cannot move apps. the Toolbox says this option is not available. Do you have an other suggestions? Could it be a problem with the SD card itself (one app2SD said it was formatted for a phone but there is nothing on it at this time. It was origionally in my Samsung galaxy phone. It does not work but I was trying it out anyway). Any thoughts would help.

Tom

• roadwarrior796

Tom, check my message 2 above, moving apps to SD is not possible with most versions of Jelly Bean 4.2, it was possible with JB 4.1 and I understand it's possible with 4.3/4.4, any other files can be moved to EX SD but not apps.

• tfdjr

I understand that, but two questons come out of this: I have 4.1.2 not 4.2, or is 4.1.2 the 4.2? :/ Second, what can you do with the SD card then? Can it be set up to store data or am I stuck with a 5 GB tablet? Much confusion here, I feel Acer is misleading me here. I was told this was expandable. Sorry for the vent. This may need to go back if it is not resovable. 

• roadwarrior796

Hi,

You can move anything else to your ex sd card, photos, music, documents, anything except the apps themselves. I have several android tablets, one is running android 4.1.1., with that tablet I can move apps to the ex sd card, the other two tablets, one Acer and one Samsung, are running 4.2.2., neither of those tablets will allow me to move apps to the ex sd card. To further complicate matters, you can't make a direct comparison between two different tablets both running, for example, android 4.1.1, because, some manufacturers, Samsung for instance, don't just install the stock version of the android system, they "tweak" it to suit themselves and so both tablets running the same OS, can behave differently.  To be fair it's not misleading, I don't think, on the part of Acer, the inability to move the apps is the fault of the operating system, or version thereof. If your tablet operating system is updated ( not sure how likely this is as Acer are not very forthcoming when it comes to firmware and upgrades ), the situation re. moving apps to ex sd may change. Hope this helps.

• tfdjr

Yes it does, but I have one more question about this (thanks for being paitent, this is my first tablet) If I use it to store data (ie pics/docs/music) my apps will be able to find them and run them off the ex SD card? Do the apps need to be set up in some king of way to find the data there? Smiley Frustrated

Again thanks for you help.

• roadwarrior796

No problem, you are welcome. If you store music or photos on your ex SD card your gallery app and music player app will find them and display/play just as if they were on the internal SD/storage area, you don't need to set them up in any special way. In the same way documents will be found by your particular office application wherever they are stored on the tablet.

• Dad2323
    Dad2323 Member Posts: 1 New User

when you copy from the root drive to the sd card all you are doing is storing the app in two places. Check your ram total and you will see not change to the root or if you delete the root when you sign on again it loads it back to the root.

• CrimsonRaven
    CrimsonRaven Member Posts: 1 New User

Does it work the same with 4.4.2? I really wanna move my apps to my SD just like in 4.1.1 so as to be able to save space in my internal... It does not have to be the app itself, but at least the data of the app.. Like the updates or any additional informations downloaded or saved in game infos...  i I've been trying to find other ways... I don't want to root my b1-730 Smiley Sad  my sd card is useless with out this feature :'(

• picas
    picas Member Posts: 1 New User

I wish you luck...you will need it.

This issue spans throught the vast majority of the Tablets on the market, and many support services don't even have a clue about it (like the Acer who tryed to answer me by reading this forum).

I have an Iconia B1-710, Android 4.1, with the same problem.

Now I want to buy another Tablet and the only Brand with stock move to external sd (many have move to a internal partition named SD, who cheats people in thinking it is moving to the real SD card) is Samsung.

• cyborg
    cyborg Member Posts: 1 New User

hello help please!!!!!!!!! i have an acer running 4.4.2 android. Is there any way to save apps on my external sd cards instead of haveing the apps use up all of my internal storage space