Iconia A510 DEAD after charger broke

stupeo
stupeo Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi All.

I have an Iconia A510 Olympic edition.

When it was only approx 2 months old, my daughter was using it whilst plugged into the charger, Unfortunately she forgot it was plugged in and walked away with the tablet in her hand, This yanked the the cable out of the tablet, but at the same time it broke the wire.

I tried several different replacement cables / chargers but none worked as the iconia requires an Acer specific charger, So I put it in the cupboard and left it for a year, naturally the battery is deader than dead after a year in the cupboard.

A few weeks ago i "found" it and decided i would resort to buying the correct charger from the acer store at a grossly exaggerated price :-(

BUT it seems there is still an issue as the new charger does nothing ? The power / charging light does not come on at all and the tablet is completely dead.

The charging port on the tablet does not seem loose or damaged in any way, and the cable plugs in securely.

Am i missing something ?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that if the battery dies completely that it causes a problem with initiating a charge ? or am i imagining that i read that ?

Any ideas ?

Could it be likely that the charging port is damaged where the cable was yanked, and is this easy to repair / replace.

Best Answer

• stupeo
    Answer ✓

Smiley SadSo..

Stripped it hoping to find the charging port was damaged inside.. all looks fine, no obvious damage from yanking the cable ? nothing else loose, snapped etc..  looks like its bricked.

Time to throw it in the bin i think and buy an ipad !!

Answers

• roadwarrior796
    roadwarrior796 Member Posts: 273 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Have you tried connecting it to a computer to see if it makes a difference ? Read on a Google Nexus forum that someone else experienced this situation, they found that if they held the power button in for a prolonged time, the tablet booted up, worth a try.

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi...

If the AC adapter is not fully seated in connector it may not charge or intermittently charge. Make sure to fully seat the AC adapter into the connector.
    You may also check by inserting a pointed object, such as a paper clip, into the reset hole to reset the tablet to its factory defaults.
    The hardware reset pin hole is located near  Micro-B USB Port.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

There is a state that the battery can get into where the charge is too low to get charging started again. If the other suggestions made here don't work then it's either time for a new battery (not an easy replacement though) or there's the possibility you can bypass the charging circuit (again requires you pull the battery first) to get a charge started. I'd bet that you either have a damaged charge connector, a completely discharged battery or both. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stupeo
    Answer ✓

Smiley SadSo..

Stripped it hoping to find the charging port was damaged inside.. all looks fine, no obvious damage from yanking the cable ? nothing else loose, snapped etc..  looks like its bricked.

Time to throw it in the bin i think and buy an ipad !!

This discussion has been closed.