Android Tablets

Topic

dennyr

Re: Iconia A500 frozen at Acer logo boot screen

tmdegroot---

I have been suffering the problem that plagues many of the users in this forum; My tablet will turn on and start to boot, but just hangs at the ACER logo forever. I call it the "boot/noboot" problem. I ask for help a couple of times on this forum, but to no avail, then while perusing the messages, I came upon your "factory data reset" procedure and figured "what the heck,  I can't make it any worse than it already is."

I followed your instructions to the tee, and low and behold it did everything you said it would. It booted up to the instruction screen just as if I had taken it out of the original box and turned it on for the first time.

I went through the on-screen set-up procedure as if it were a new tablet (its nearly three years old) and everything worked like it was supposed to. Then I gave it the acid test and turned it off. When I turned it back on, it booted just like it was meant to and has worked ever since. (two days now and counting)

I love my ACER, and have you to thank for getting it working again. I hope your instructions can help others looking for the solution to the "boot/noboot" problem.

Those needing help should search the Users of this forum for "tmdegroot" and read the messages that are brought up.

Thank You many times over and over---dennyr

Established Member
carlthomas2002

I had a look at the posts you were refering too and unfortunately it didn't work for me. My A100 is still bricked. Glad it worked for you though! I'm sure many others have tried and still no luck :smileysad:

dennyr

I went back to tmdegroots messages, and found an anomaly in the message threads. One of tmdegroots messages is answered by Acer support, and would seem to direct users to a "factory data reset" by using the small hole designated Reset ,but that is not the reset that I was referring to. In another of tmdegroot's messages way down at the bottom he describes a factory reset using the volume, the screen rotation lock, and the power switch to facilitate the reset. The following is the text describing how it is done. Just in case you got sent down the incorrect "reset trail" before.

How do I perform a Factory Data Reset if my Acer ICONIA TAB A500 does not boot?

The following steps will erase all of your personal information, all stored contacts and any programs you have installed on your tablet.

1.Power off the tablet.

2.Press and hold the Volume up button, which is located closest to the touch screen lock switch.

3.With the Volume up button held, press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds then release it. Continue holding the Volume up button.

4.Once the tablet vibrates, switch the touch screen lock switch on and off repeatedly while still holding the Volume up button.

5.Release the Volume up button and stop switching the touch screen lock switch once the "Erasing Userdata..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen.

6.Once the factory reset has been completed your tablet will load to the Welcome screen. 7.Your Factory Data Reset has completed now follow the onscreen steps to setup your tablet.

Established Member
carlthomas2002

I have tried this several times before and after I saw this from you and still no joy.....looks like mine is bricked! :smileysad:

Visitor
Fireman77

I am having the exact same problem as everyone else in this thread. Tried all kinds of resets and it does not work. Has anyone received an acceptable answer to this problem from Acer? Apparently it is a hardware problem and we are all seeing it happen now? I don't think it is just coincidence, I think every tablet will fail with the same amount of use/time owning it.

Established Member
carlthomas2002

Yep, got us over a barrel.....not sure what we can do about this, gutted i'm 3 months out of my warranty.

Established Member
carlthomas2002

[ Edited ]

I emailed Acer to find out if this was a manufacture fault and to see if they would repair my A100 free as it is just out of warranty. This is what they said:

'As per our records, I found that there is no known fault found with this unit.'

I don't see how this is the case as the Acer owned forum is full of this problem.

So thinking I could repair this myself I called Acer spare parts to purchase a replaement motherboard. I am totally gob smacked to find out they want £545 for a new board. More then X2 of the original cost of the tablet. I loved my A100, but not £545 much :smileyhappy:

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Established Member
ivibre

Re: Iconia A500 frozen at google sign in screen

I certainly didn't intend to bad mouth anyone. Forgive eh? Simply stated seemingly not enough support to resolve simple issue. I own my tablet. Purchased new. Have two sign-in profiles with google. Not rooted. Tried every key push combination possible. Put a paperclip in and nothing changed. I need this desperately. No response to go online, and will add I am not educated enough to flash, root or try complex resolutions. However, I will do my best to download, unzip, open, combine and send if I knew exactly what I am doing. I also appreciate any and all comments, derogatory or not. It's called "constructive criticism" and much is the foundation of years of service to which I have dedicated my simple life to. So, bring it on.

Smiles4miles
Established Member
ivibre

I have a SD mini card in my laptop at this moment. Looking for files to "boot". Just left profile at Google. They made me change my password so my primary account linked with the tablet is not going to work for me. I'm hoping the secondary profile I have the tablet registered with and which has the same password linked to will suffice. I believe strongly that in my situation, my tablet was in the middle of a download (unknown) when it shut down. I don't see where this would be of significance but last month when this happened and I performed my first search, I did see somewhere that there was an issue if the tablet was downloading when it shut down.

My specifics:  Acer Iconia Tablet A500 (A = android, W = windows) not rooted, believe got to honeycomb 3.2, may have been downloading update at time of crash. Had set pattern, forgot 5 times, went to "connect to Google account" = won't connect to internet. (May be notable: had used PdaNet/FoxFi/hotspot, bluetooth from Samsung Precedent = Straighttalk turned off my 3G on the phone because I tethered it. (unlimited isn't unlimited and privacy isn't private - just fyi) So now have cable internet to laptop Asus k501j which has no bluetooth but does have WiFi and trying to set a "shared homegroup" directed at the tablet as well as downloading the identity files to be able to manipulate and sync with the tablet but isn't there yet. Just tried to capture shot of files downloaded, my mouse is acting up. If you want the list ask. Otherwise I don't even think it is the right list. I read about getting files, combining them in a SDK common folder and using this sort of as a developer to reset the files in the tab. I don't want to tell you in case I am on the wrong path. Never doing this before, a wee bit scared to try. Let me know if you are successful at anything. My laptop recognizes my tablet as a camera, no files. Good luck.

Smiles4miles
Regular Visitor
RayRadlein

Wanted to add my +1 to this collection of nightmares: My stock, non-rooted A500 went belly-up a few days ago now, and no amount of fancy resetting has done anything to fix it. If there's a fix of any kind, or a magic update.zip that can recreate its basic out-of-the-box functionality, I'd love to hear about it.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Acer is proud to announce the promotion of Philetus to the ACE team. Philetus has been a member since March 2013 and has shown the skills and patience required to be a member of this exclusive, invite only team of experts. Congratulations Philetus!

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: