Iconia A210-10g16u (or A100, A101, A200, A500)

WJB-2
WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I want to purchase a USB to 5.5 mm/2.1 mm DC Barrel Jack Power Cable so I can charge my non-USB powered 2012 Iconia A210 with the 10400 MaH portable charger I use for my Liquid Z410.  Given the A210's age -- though upgraded via ACER site to 4.1.1 -- does anyone know if I'm seeking trouble by trying USB to DC Barrel?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

These models use a 12V 2A charger. USB gives you 5V 0.5A, USB rapid charge is 5V 2A. I'm betting it won't work without 12V.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓

These models use a 12V 2A charger. USB gives you 5V 0.5A, USB rapid charge is 5V 2A. I'm betting it won't work without 12V.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • WJB-2

So I see; looking at the back of the recently replaced Iconia charger, it shows 12V 2000 maH.  While the charger for the Liquid Z shows exactly what you said.  I should have looked at the back of both all along.Man Embarassed  So, while an experiment would prove interesting it's not worth investing in an adaptor, because:

1) Your suspicion makes eminent sense, and,

2) It appears the A210 has "died," just days after I posted the USB question. (I tried to go in and delete this post but it was too late.)

• billsey

Darn, my A100 is still going fine, and it's even older than yours... Smiley Wink

• WJB-2

Oops, sure hoping not to spread bad luck. I too was high on my Iconia still going strong when the failure struck suddenly.  Adding some detail from the first post, the A210 had just recharged so I left it on AC, powered it on, inserted a microSD, and downloaded a PDF from a trusted webpage.  I needed to step away for what turned out to be about an hour and when I returned to the still AC-powered, web-connected tablet it would not "awaken."  The rest is history as laid out here.

One thing I've not mentioned, however, is that I noticed the microSD had several strange, obviously Android-created folders in addition to the standard folders Android, Acer, and Lost.  Regretfully I did not record the mystery folder names but recall each suggested some protective mechanism.  The mystery folders were from May 3, and the A210's failure occurred quite a few days after that.  Thinking back, I'm wondering if those folders were a clue of trouble to come.