HELP! Acer Iconna A500 Tab will NOT update have tried ALL the "Tricks"

AdamBurdette
AdamBurdette Member Posts: 2 New User

Ok so i got a Acer A500 a month or two ago.. I know its an older tablet but it works.. any ways todays date is 8-29-2014... And my acer will not update.

All i get is Loading. Please wait... and then the Error saying "NETWORK COVERAGE, Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue." WHich i have been lead to believe that its a problem with authenticatoin or something.. Because i have tried at about 12 Different Places to update it always the same message even right beside the modem.. Even if i port foward every port i can for the tablet nothing.. I've tried, Deleting and reinsalling the encancement update, I've tried a soft factory restore from the settings, I've tried a "Hard" resotre where you press the buttons and switch the lock thing back and forth.. Ive been told to leave bluetooth on i've done everything i could find on the interent.. Except Rooting it, because i dont know what that is exactly and it doesn't sound very security wise safe.. but i want to update it to the 4.1 or whatever the ice cream sandwitch i think.. Because this thing sucks you can't even use it to browse the web or anything!! please help

But its stuck current is

Build Number - Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2

Kernel Version - 2.6.36.3+

Andriod Version 3.2.1

And lastly.. Is there not a way to plug it into the PC and update it?? Like you can your iPhone through itunes and not on the actual phone if you want.. a Teatherd update.. that would be great.

Answers

• Clyde
    Clyde Member, Knowledge Author Posts: 420 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

I don't think the ICS update is available for the A500 anymore. Acer has posted ROMs for some of the products, but I don't see it for this one. Probably have to wait for if or when they post it, or try to root it.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Old Acer servers for update are down at the moment.
    Waiting news.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • andyf
    andyf Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

You're not alone - Acer has pulled OTA updates for other Android tablets as well:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Android-Tablets/A200-Over-the-air-OTA-updates-not-available/td-p/281746

• sun244
    sun244 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

Can someone please tell me how to get to last official release system update for Acer500?

Thank You

Sun

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

here you can find the latest update available:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/3851;-;A500

select the proper operating system, click on OS and choose the correct build version.

the "poor coverage" is an error message coming from shut-down old Acer FOTA update for android devices, not about your wifi. (bad description)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • never
    never Member Posts: 9 New User

I tried the update from the other post on this topic and I only get the android icon with the yellow exclamation mark after putting the tablet into recovery mode with the update file on a microSD

• dmam
    dmam Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, help please!

my tablet is stocked at the ACER logo. After searching here and on the web I found some update.zip files ... I tried a few of them : most don't  even go pass 25% of the update and one goes up to almost 100%, but never ends... the droid puppet is still up, but the progression blue line does not go any further... 

I really want to save my data, so no factory reset unless EVERYTHING has been tried...

Can someone help me please?