Confusing O.S. Upgrades Guidance - Iconia A210-10g16u

WJB-2
WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I want to install the second of two Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Upgrades available from ACER to an A210-10g16u. But instead of offering the basic Android SOP for O.S. upgrades, the upgrade image is accompanied by a confusing alert that I reprint here with typographical and grammatical errors intact:

This image is only can be updraged from Acer_AV043_A210_RV06RC01_TWN_GEN1. Please download and read SD image upgrade manual from document page to upgrade this image.

What?! The zipped image is named "OS_Acer_AV043.RV06RC01.AV051.RV05RC02.TWN.GEN1_A41J_A," which suggests it holds the aforementioned "Acer_AV043_A210_RV06RC01_TWN_GEN1." The A210's documents page does not include a SD image upgrade manual, only several Kernel Source Code application guides and a User Manual I already have.

My thinking here is to waste no further time trying to "decode" the alert and instead just move the zipped image to one of my microSD's and run the upgrade as normal by “Booting recovery kernel image“ and toggling down to "apply update from external storage." Anyone see why I shouldn't just do it?  I've already upgraded to the earlier PA.CUS1 image, so I trust all should be ready.  But ACER's possibly outdated alert has me a little antsy about proceeding.

Thoughts, anyone?  Thanks.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

apart the bad description, that means you can only upgrade if  your tablet has AV043.RV06RC01 version

about the zipped file name

AV043.RV06RC01.AV051.RV05RC02

this means that you will update from

AV043.RV06RC01

to

AV051.RV05RC02

you can see that the image name is an upgrade from AV043, so you can upgrade if your OS is AV043.RV06RC01

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

apart the bad description, that means you can only upgrade if  your tablet has AV043.RV06RC01 version

about the zipped file name

AV043.RV06RC01.AV051.RV05RC02

this means that you will update from

AV043.RV06RC01

to

AV051.RV05RC02

you can see that the image name is an upgrade from AV043, so you can upgrade if your OS is AV043.RV06RC01

• WJB-2

Wow. Interesting.  And fortunate I waited for some help.  My one and only Jelly Bean upgrade gave me RV07RC02.  That was the PA.CUS1 version.  I don't know what was there previously, though it could not have been the version now required for this newer upgrade.  In any event I'm obviously out of luck here.  Darn.  I would have so loved to upgrade this great little A210 one more time.

But much thanks for the clear and excellent guidance.  Definitely big-time kudos here!

• IronFly
    You welcome.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

The upgrades are configured for specific locales. Which OS version is installed? The Taiwan locale that you are talking about can't be installed on a different locale base OS.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • WJB-2

Belated clarification response: The unit has received "PA.CUS1" which gave it Android 4.1.1.  Given how old 4.1 is there are no further updates from Google or Acer as I suspected.  "PA.CUS1" dates back to 2012 I believe.  This is why despite my personal preference for Android over Windows I don't want to lose the more generous MicroSoft approach to system updates.