Acer Iconia One 7 - How to use MicroSD card

sjdown85
sjdown85 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

I am not too tech savvy, but cannot seem to find the answer to my question on any forum/website....

My Acer Iconia One 7 Ran out of Internal Storage so I bought a MicroSD card for it, assuming that I could just transfer apps etc to it from my internal storage, as well as download new apps directly to the MicroSD card.....the tablet recognizes the card (in settings under storage it recognizes the card and tells me how much space is on it)...but I cannot figure out for the life of me how on earth I actually use the microsd card....any guidance as to what I should do to start being able to utilize the space on my card would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

You can move your data; music, pictures, videos etc. to the SD card storage. Most apps don't support moving though a few do. It's up to the app developer to put support in, and Google prefers that they don't.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sjdown85
    sjdown85 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks. How do I move my data to the Sd card? If they dont support being moved, is there any way to download new apps directly to it? 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

You can use any file manager to move data to the SD card, and most apps that use that type of data have configuration options to look there first. You probably won't be able to download apps to the SD card. Google has a point there, it's much easier on the OS if they can assume anything installed can still run even if the SD card is removed. It's a whole bunch more work to have to determine at launch what to do if the app doesn't actually exist.

You might check to see if any existing apps are building large log files or something, that can often fill up the onboard memory faster than normal. I found on my phone that old voicemails were being stored in onboard memory, and they took up close to 3GB of the 5GB available after the OS took up it's space.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kongregategamer
    kongregategamer Member Posts: 13 New User

What about moving those fotos into the SD?

I see no way using the Tablet, to do it. The pictures have no option to be moved, unlike what happens with other tablets and smartphones I use.

Just as the Tablet is, as it comes from factory, is it ready to provide us with a way to move any data at all into the SD card?

Thanks for your attention.

• Spelfie
    Spelfie Member Posts: 4 New User

If you are running Kitkat 4.4, you can not put apps on the external SD card. Even if you download an app to SD moving app, the OS partitions the internal memory and only recognizes the internal "sd" side of the memory when you try to move an app. And then you will get a message saying you don't need to move it because the "sd" is part of the OS. Totally ignoring the SD card you have put into the device. This happens on all devices running Android 4.4. Google took away the option to move apps with KitKat and the Lollipop versions of Andriod. They brought it back with 6.0 Marshmallow because of so many complaints, and from what I am reading the people who got the 6.0.1 update lost the ability to use the sd card as mounted adopted storage (adopted meaning you can not remove the card and then use the device, and you can't use the SD card for anything else except on the device). The only way around the problem is to root (hack), which can ruin your device and voids any warranty.

• kongregategamer

Thank you sincerely, but I was really asking about photos and other multimedia.

Do you know of a way to move them into the SD card, just using the software that came with the tablet?

Thanks

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can try to move or copy the DCIM folder (default camera folder) from internal storage to microSD.

normally an application called File Manager is by default installed on Acer devices, if not, you have to download one for free on google play.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kongregategamer

This seems worthwhile, I'll try it.

Thanks

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

To move files I generally just connect to a PC & backup at the same time. There is a switch in SETTINGS to tell apps to use the SD Card for data but on a Zest (phone) I had to change a setting inside the camera to do the same thing.

• theotherstorm
    theotherstorm Member Posts: 2 New User

I can't even get my micro slot to open. I dont have finger nails since I bite them. using another item and still no luck and cant find anything on this like a video incase i am doing it wrong..  should be a easy in and out off the side of this tablet then this...    does anyone have a video or help page please..  my sd card is a fat32 one so it should work fine once i can open this darn thing up

• theotherstorm
    theotherstorm Member Posts: 2 New User

ok just cut my finger on my nail file i was using to put in and try to move the snap lid.. bleeding good so i will have to wait,   i did see some movementon tablet as this happened.. as well as darn thing turned on so i pushed on button....  stupid place for sd i have to say, when all my other tablets easy to put in andout

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,338 Community Administrator

Hello @theotherstorm,

I'm sorry that you're having issues accessing the SD card slot on your tablet.

b1-770.png

There is a groove on the top right side of this model (holding the tablet in portrait mode, near the headphone jack).  The latches are designed to release by pulling up as this image shows. 

I have forwareded your comments so we can improve our future designs.

• Lumi7539
    Lumi7539 Member Posts: 1 New User

I dont have finger nails since I bite them. / just cut my finger on my nail file i was using

Just curious, but if you bite your finger nails, why would you have a nail file lying around to use?