Acer Iconia B1 screen not rotating!!!!

joeyc
joeyc Member Posts: 4 New User

Ok so until today my Acer Iconia B1 has had no problems whatsoever with automatic screen rotation. Now though it is stuck in portrait mode and when I turn the tablet on it's side to make it turn to landscape it does nothing. No matter how many times I adjust the screen orientation settings from lock to automatic it still doesn't do anything.

I have tried a factory reset and this has not sorted the issue either. 

I have checked that the accelerometor is working by downloading an app to test it and it is working fine.

How do I sort this issue out? This is really inconvenient for reading PDF files/browsing the internet and I am really dissappointed that a device that I have had for just over 4 weeks is now having problems like this.

Answers

• ackrantz11
    ackrantz11 Member Posts: 2 New User

My Iconia A200 started doing the same thing yesterday out of nowhere.  Not sure why.  No settings were changed, it just stopped rotating.  Anyone have any ideas??

• lnorth365
    lnorth365 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello ,

I had the same problem. Problem Solved!!!!!

page 14 of the user guide which can be downloaded from:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual/User%20Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.pdf?acerid=634928092468937676&Step1=Tablet&Step2=ICONIA%20B&Step3=B1-A71&OS=a10&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=AAP_10

There is a switch/icon in the notification area at the top of the screen which allows you to lock or unlock the rotation.

i guess it defaults to locked in portrait.

Larry North

• joeyc
    Larry I already said in my post that I had done that and it still doesn't work.

Anyone got any other ideas?
  • timowers
    timowers Member Posts: 3 New User

The following screen rotation setting seems to override (and be indpendant from) the icon in the pull-down area at the top of the screen:

1. Go into Settings.
    2. Go into Accesability (in the 'System' section)
    3. Check the auto-rotate screen option.

HTH,

Tim.

• engineer44432
    engineer44432 Member Posts: 2 New User

brilliant, thank you

• joeyc

It turned out my Iconia B1 had an issue with the motherboard. Acer sent a courier to collect it and they repaired it and had it back to me within 5 days.

I was happy, until I found out that it now has a big scratch on it that wasn't there before (like someone has taken one of those maths compasses you get in school to the back of it).

According to the UPS guy who collected it this has happened to a lot of Acer products over the years while he has worked for UPS.

For those looking at these forums doing research before buying an Acer tablet, my advice would be to go with another brand. Acer just aren't worth the hassle and their products are clearly of an inferior quality to many other brands out there (including other budget brands).

• MartinF
    MartinF Member Posts: 51 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Sorry to hear of the damage to your tablet Joey, thats not good news at all.

Could be an honest mistake or the repair tech was having a bad day.. in any case, not acceptable!

What country are you in?

• joeyc
    I'm in the UK.
  • MartinF
    MartinF Member Posts: 51 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Ok cool, you have a PM.

Thanks

• bonelyrikz
    bonelyrikz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanx Tim thz wuz very helpful
  • grasshopper1213
    grasshopper1213 Member Posts: 1 New User

cant get my screen to auto rotate it stays locked in one position

• pmalone
    pmalone Member Posts: 1 New User

I checked everything people posted and nothing made mine show me any icon for screen rotation.  I had taken pictures and rotated it a lot at one point.  Perhaps it will only do it in picture taking or something.  Any ideas would be nice.

PM

• Jay1
    Jay1 Member Posts: 1 New User

Worked fine for me. thanks

• cglaze1945
    cglaze1945 Member Posts: 1 New User

the screen on my acer stopped rotating only one of my apps will go in landacape possison. can u help?

• jupiterjoo
    jupiterjoo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Omg! Thanks so much. Why in the world would they put that there? It should be with the settings yes? Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.