Acer Iconia A1-810 android update

necrospiritus
necrospiritus Member Posts: 3 New User

I have a1-810 and android verison is 4.2 and i wondering a1-810 get an update to android 4.3 or 4.4?

Answers

• Bluforce
    Bluforce Member Posts: 4 New User

4.3 is almost pointless, but I hope at least Android 4.4 will be released.

Acer must do it. They can't abandon a tablet with less than 6 month old.

Or next time I will think 10 times before buy an Acer product.

• mtn1905
    mtn1905 Member Posts: 2 New User

I hope we can get updates. Otherwise as you said ACER may lost customer confidence. Updates very important for android devices and i believe Acer already known that.

• roadwarrior796
    roadwarrior796 Member Posts: 273 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Have been a buyer of Acer laptops for years and now android tablets, I believe in the brand and hope that they will continue to roll out updates for their products. The tablet market is fiercely competitive and Acer have to look after their customers.

• mtn1905
    mtn1905 Member Posts: 2 New User

Is there anybody in this Forum that make a comment about that requests.

Or we will tell to each other very nice wishes Smiley Happy

• anthonycatabona
    anthonycatabona Member Posts: 1 New User

Acer! We want android 4.4 (kitkat). Please release it immediately...

• Bluforce

No 4.4? Ok. This is really disappointing.

I'll sell my A1-810 as soon as possible.

Good bye Acer. Never again.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Do you do the same thing with your phones (sell it and swear off the vendor) when they stop doing upgraded OS versions after about a year? My Motorola Bionic is stuck with Jelly Bean and that is well over a year old, yet I'm not going to swear off Motorola because of it... It's costs a lot of money and resources to do an upgrade, with no payback when done on an older model.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bluforce
    I had a Nexus One, now a Nexus 4.

Before you ask, I didn't buy a Nexus 7 because i like 4:3 ratio for tablets.

Cost a lot of money also buy a tablet that 6 month after is abandoned by Acer (in this case)
  • viskonde
    viskonde Member Posts: 3 New User

Just like me.

I was between the Nexus 7 and any 8" tablet.

I decided to give a try to acer because I really liked the 4:3 ratio.

Now i know it was a bad choice.

I knew I would not be getting updates in one week like a Nexus, but I hoped to at least have a 4.3 or 4.4 update about 6 months after its release.

This tablet didnt recevied ONE single update. was released with 4.2.2, and will stay that way forever.

Just sad. Will stop recomending Acer and for sure will not buy another device from them.

Unfortunely, with Android, or you go Nexus or you better go to the dark side.

• A1Girl
    A1Girl Member Posts: 9 New User

Has anyone heard anything since this article?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Nope, and I imagine we won't hear anything more until the finally offer it. They aren't likely to give us much insight into the development process, be cause it's too easy to slip a milestone date and fill the ether with compliants.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • A1Girl
    A1Girl Member Posts: 9 New User

Just saw this Post and Acer-Cory told them the A1-830 is getting an update so maybe they will update A1-810 too. 

• potroub
    potroub Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

After Talking to Acer then Google Android's team...that shoot me right back at Acer...Saying it is to them to make all updates available ...for now they are locked by Acer team.
    Even thought they want you to believe that they have not finished testing KitKat with Iconia A1-810...
    They are lying...because...not only they are not doing any test...they just stopped supporting this device and locked it to Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
    They will not confirm you this over the phone or on Chat .
    But clearly Acer will not update this tablet like the advertisement said when we all purchased the unit.

Nothing in the hardware would prevent the unit to get KitKat...and even the new L upcoming...(asides from certains feature that won't work because of it's hardware limitations)

So...Acer is fooling us... +

Be aware that the Heartbleed fault issue for security is not protected from when on Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
    Google advises all to update to the latest KitKat 4.4.3 to get protection from the Heartbleed.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi all,

I just want to confirm that the A1-810 is scheduled to receive the KitKat (Android 4.4) along with the A1-830. That has not changed at this time. While I am not able to share any timelines at this point, as soon as information is available to be shared publicly we plan to do so. Here is the post a made a couple weeks confirming that the A-810 is scheduled to receive an update. http://community.acer.com/t5/Android-Tablets/when-the-upgrade-to-android-4-4-will-be-available-for-a1-810/m-p/256708#M17088

Hope this helps,

Cory

• potroub

Tinkerer

It is very kind to tell us again to wait patiently...
    But you guys should learn that if you use the word schedule then a date should be listed in your thread.

At the moment, we are still floating points...with no idea about how secure we are using our tablets.

Still until the update happens we are left with the issue of the Heartbleed breach in 4.2.2.
    Why not give us a little security.

«Marc Rogers, principal security researcher at Lookout Mobile, a provider of anti-malware software for Android phones, said some versions of Android 4.2.2 that have been customized by the carriers or hardware manufacturers have also been found to be susceptible.» - Taken from (http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/vicious-heartbleed-bug-bites-millions-of-android-phones-other-devices/)

Your agenda should not be helping the agenda of hackers...
    Don't let any of your users think of this kind of affiliation.

Of course one would need to really have an enemy to be such target of hacking using the Heartbleed exploit.
    But in these days of economical and political uncertainties it is not impossible.

Thanx for making a better effort to secure us and keeping our OS up to date...

R

• potroub

Tinkerer

Using this tool

It clearly shows that our devices are vulnerable
    As It states :

The version of OpenSSL on your device is affected by the Heartbleed bug (1.0.1.c) 

So please secure our devices as soon as possible.
    An update will correct this situation unless google delivers a patch wich they are not to bound to release because they suggest to update all devices to KitKat.

Hopefully today...your team will secure us a little !!!

I really hope so...because... none of us out there have secured devices at the moment.
    None.

You can scan your own devices to see if you are secure or not... If you have an Iconia A1-810 running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.2.2 you are affected.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.heartbleeddetector

Thanx
    R

• potroub

Tinkerer

There is a big urgent issue pending...?

Why is your team, if you say that you are testing KitKat...are not speeding up the time to do so...in order to secure it's users ?

What is the truth...

I do not know any computer makers that treat their user like this.

Microsoft, Google, Linux etc... IBM DELL HP ... I do not recall or know any of these business... to put a huge delay to put out the corrective patch...to our OS...and allow our update as suggested by Google Androir Team !!!

You are the first ever to not secure us !!!

R

• ssusa
    ssusa Member Posts: 6 New User

They may wait for the android 5.0 came out, so they could told us to wait for the 5.0 update. Just let us keep waiting, or tell us to purchase a new tablet with the new android system. 

• potroub

Tinkerer

I doubt that Android L (5). will be released soon enough and really not sure the A1-810 will be getting this update in it's full brew.

Incompatibility will be higher than with previous Android version for this tablet. Not a 100% sure. But it sure does look like it.

As for now the réal issue is the security breach until we receive KitKat we are not protected at all.

Please Acer Team. We need this update to use our device securely.

Thanx