ACER Iconia A3-A10

MorningBird2010
MorningBird2010 Member Posts: 15 New User

I just purchased an ACER Iconia A3-A10, I thought from me reading the description of the tablet before I purchased that i was able use SD card and SIM Card...am I wrong?  Because I've inserted the 16GB SD Card and I go to "SETTINGS' > "STORAGE" and only shows internal, no external....and looked at the manual for a SIM card slot and I don't see any directions for a SIM Card insert area...?

Please help on this matter, Thanx! 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

As I stated before, the -A10 does not have 3G capabilities, and therefore doesn't have a SIM slot, the -A11 does.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey

When I look at the specs, the A3-A10 has support for an SD card, specifically SDHC, with no mention of the SDXC type. i'd read that as you should be able to plug in pretty much any of the miniSD cards up to 32gb and there's no guaranty for the larger ones. There is no 3G data support, so a SIM card wouldn't do anything for you. For some markets there is an A3-A11 which does add 3G support, and that one would have a SIM slot.

Yoour 16GB card should work fine and you should be able to take a file browser and find the external SD storage. Try powering the tablet off first before inserting the card and make sure the card is fully inserted. It hould have a spring latch...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Please check if your SD card is formated in FAT or FAT32 format, android can't read NTFS formated card.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MorningBird2010

Okay I have a SanDisk Ultra 16GB MicroSDHC Class 10, so do I need to format it before it can be used in the tablet? 

• IronFly

You can format in FAT or FAT32 with your PC or just insert the SDcard in the tablet and :

system settings/storage

scroll down to Umount SD storage and tap it, then tap on Format SDcard, wait until it finishes and then your SD will be ready.

remember that you can transfer SINGLE files bigger than 4gb.

• billsey

IronFly wrote:

You can format in FAT or FAT32 with your PC or just insert the SDcard in the tablet and :

system settings/storage

scroll down to Umount SD storage and tap it, then tap on Format SDcard, wait until it finishes and then your SD will be ready.

remember that you can transfer SINGLE files bigger than 4gb.

I think you mean 'can't'... The FAT filesystems support files up to 4GB in size, but not larger. Even when there's plenty of room on the device.

• MorningBird2010

I'm unable to format the card because on the tablet @ system settings/storage "Umount SD storage" shows gray and doesn't show the card as external and the available storage space, I tap on it and get nothing...I try using the adapter to insert in my PC and it doesn't go all the way in for some reason which the PC is 6 yrs old that may be part of the problem of the adapter not inserting properly...I'm really at a lost, I hope don't have to return this tablet, I just return another one, so this is my second tablet, the first one was a Lenovo Yoga I only had it for 2 wks and it just stop working...now this one is not letting my external card format...

• billsey

Some of the slots used in older PCs have the card held upside down. Try putting it in that way to see if it's the issue...

• MorningBird2010

Thanx for the suggestion, but it didn't work...working on another option to formatting this card...will let you know what happens...Smiley Happy

• IronFly

billsey wrote:

I think you mean 'can't'... The FAT filesystems support files up to 4GB in size, but not larger. Even when there's plenty of room on the device.

yes i mean "can't".

If android system can't find the SDcard it's probably already formated on NTFS, you need a PC to format on FAT32.

• MorningBird2010

Hello! I need to express a concern that I have as to why didn't this tablet come w/SIM card insert section?  I guess if had of investigated further when comparisoning w/other tablets, I wouldn't of gotten it. The only reason why I got rid of the other tablet I had before this one, it just stop working on me and I only had it for 2 wks, but the 1 main reason I bought it, the Lenovo Yoga 10.1 tablet, was b/c it had a SIM card insert so I could go mobile for my small biz/personal activities, this 1, the ACER A3-A10 does not, now I have to be inconvenienced w/finding a Hotspot in order to use it away from home. But on the other hand am I wrong on that?  Just need to know if I made a good choice w/this tablet...

• billsey
    Answer ✓

As I stated before, the -A10 does not have 3G capabilities, and therefore doesn't have a SIM slot, the -A11 does.

This discussion has been closed.