Let's Get Social!
Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!
I have a 32GB Iconia Tab A500 tablet running ICS. I have a low storage icon showing so I went to Settings > Storage to investigate. The calculations are as follows:
Total space: 27.37GB
The bar graph above these calculation indicates roughly 20% of the storage is used, yet I only have 257MB available. Any ideas on how to correct this and make the missing memory available?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Here is the patch you requested. Just extract the two files from the GPSPatch.zip and copy both to the Micro SD. The text file will be blank. All the instructions you need are below. I hope this is helpful.
1. Save the GPSPatch.zip file and extract the contents of the folder.
2. Copy both files that were extracted to your Micro SD card.
3. Power off your tablet.
4. Insert the microSD card into the tablet.
5. Press and hold the “Volume Down” key then press and hold the “Power” key.
6. Once the “Power” key LED turns on, release “Power” key but still hold “Volume Down” key.
7. The Acer screen will appear and the tablet will vibrate. Do not release “Volume Down” key until an
"Erasing cache before SD update..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
8. The GPS data is cleared. This process takes a few seconds and then the tablet will restart.
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are forwarding this information to the proper department for investigation.
Same problem with my 16gb A500 running ICS. I've had to restore to factory once already. Another forum listed the problem as a GPS file leak problem, better described as:
"The bottom line is that when the GPS is used, the GPS driver for ICS 4.0.3 on the Acer a-series tablets apparently writes numerous gl-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS.txt files into the /data/gps directory. The files are apparently not automatically deleted, and so over time will consume most of the internal storage space."
If this is in fact the problem when can we expect a patch to fix this seemly simple issue?
We will be releasing an application soon that will help resolve this issue. Once it is available I will post here with directions. Thank you for your patience.
What is the status of the patch necessary to fix the GPS memory drain and remove the excess files to restore the available free memory? I am on the edge of the painful process of a factory reset, but can hold off if a patch is to be released soon...
We have posted a patch for this at http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29339. I hope this is helpful.