Does Z5610 BIOS support SSD (Samsung 850 EVO)?

kevint89
kevint89 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives

Hi,  I have used an Acer Z5610 (with Windows 7 64bit Home) for several years and decided to replace the 1TB Western Digital HDD for a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD drive.

Cloned the WD drive to the SSD via Samsung Migration program which said successful.  Swapped the HDD and SSD over and got a "OS not available " message.  Tried a different cloning program after wiping SSD (Macrium Reflect) which also said successful. Same response from Z5610. Tried a commercial HD copier to clone HDD.  Still not able to boot into Windows. Checked all BIOS settings but couldn't find a problem. Cleared SSD again and wrote only Windows 10 fresh install to SSD. Mounted in Z5610 but still the Acer refused to boot into Windows 10 from the SSD.

Anyone any ideas what might be going on here please?  Does the 2010 BIOS in the Z5610 support SSDs OK ?  Have I missed anything in pointing to the boot drive?  Any help appreciated . Many Thanks 

Best Answer

• kevint89

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Solved!  I had been replacing the HDD with the clobed SSD.  I noticed on another forum question that I had missed the fact that on the Z5610 there is actually a dedicated SSD connection on the Z5610 which I had not seen as it's not in an obvious position. As soon as I used that slot (and disconnected the original HDD for now) the PC booted straight away!  So thanks to the original enquirer I now have a fater machine and can reconnect the HDD after wiping as a 1TB backup and data drive !!  Smiley Happy

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Hi,

You could try backing up your HDD to another external HDD, create a recovery disk with Macrium, then insert the SSD and boot with the recovery disk, recover the backed up image on to SSD. 

• kevint89

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Solved!  I had been replacing the HDD with the clobed SSD.  I noticed on another forum question that I had missed the fact that on the Z5610 there is actually a dedicated SSD connection on the Z5610 which I had not seen as it's not in an obvious position. As soon as I used that slot (and disconnected the original HDD for now) the PC booted straight away!  So thanks to the original enquirer I now have a fater machine and can reconnect the HDD after wiping as a 1TB backup and data drive !!  Smiley Happy

• Dameashy
    Dameashy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi have a Acer Z5610 all in one pc and I want to use a SSD drive now as I have upgraded to Windows 10 - but I couldnt get it to be recognised by windows I read that there is a designated socket for an SSD but I couldnt see one on the board could someone give me a clue as to where its located please
  • kevint89

Tinkerer

Dameashy said:
    Hi have a Acer Z5610 all in one pc and I want to use a SSD drive now as I have upgraded to Windows 10 - but I couldnt get it to be recognised by windows I read that there is a designated socket for an SSD but I couldnt see one on the board could someone give me a clue as to where its located please
    Hi Demeashy,  It's three years since I installed the Samsung SSD and it has performed flawlessly since. I seem to recall that the dedicated slot for the SSD is above the place where the HDD is mounted and runs at 90 degrees to the HDD....the SSD connector is to the right of the motherboard fan - (the right hand side fan).  In this Youtube video you can see the connector when the motherboard fan is removed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQhqcXabwE

Hope this helps.
  • Dameashy
    Dameashy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks Kevint89 I have watched that video which is really good - Ive undone my pc several times times now to clean fans and upgrade the hdd but never had to take the metal cover plate off  hiding the board (so many flippin screws) As I am working from home now want to get the best out of my pc and considering it age this is a pretty decent pc after upgrades - Will open it up again and have another go a locating this SSD slot thanks for your help.
  • kevint89

Tinkerer

You're very welcome. I don't think you need to take the fan cover plate off.....just check on the right side UNDER the plate and you should find the SSD connector there. That's why I missed it in the first place!  You should be able to just connect the SSD without taking off the plate.