Computer turns off, but doesn't stop drawing power.

notforme
notforme Member Posts: 21 New User

Rehash of the following post: http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/Computer-turns-off-but-doesn-t-stop-drawing-power/m-p/359273#U359273

Unless you buy a computer every year, Acer will charge you, ontop of your long distance charge if you have tech issues.

I have a AM3920-E4002u, I got it back in 2011, and has been working just fine till now. Recently it has been doing as the title says: "Computer turns off, but doesn't stop drawing power". I found a board where another user found the issue was that he was booting onto a clone HDD instead of a Factory HDD, but I don't speak spanish, so I don't know what a clone HDD or Factory HDD is... If anyone knows how to fix that, that's the issue. My issue acording to the spanish speaking dude is that I need to have it boot off the Factory HDD instead.  I do not pay for the electricity so I dont know how much, but after powering down, my fan, keyboard (back lit) mouse, monitor, webcam, speakers and of couse, power indicator all remain on.
There is also no sound difference between being on, and off.

More info:

This issue has costed me alot of money. I blew out my $200 graphics card, a $150 sound card, $100 keyboard (bragging rights), $10 mouse and a $50 wifi adapter. This issue is causing my add on hardware to over heat. The issue happened after I did a Defrag on my PC (running windows 8) The computer originally came with windows 7 installed. Other than that 1 issue, the computer is in mint condition.

Things that didn't work:

Try chkdsk:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

I assume you have an updated antivirus program on your computer.

You can also try a clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135/

indows 10 technical preview?  That probably explains it.

Try disabling windows fast startup.  Or use the operating system that came with your computer. :smileywink:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

ok, so you are under windows 8

press 

windows key logo + x

choose

command prompt (admin)

click YES at the popup

once in the command prompt

type

shutdown /s /f /t 0

press enter

it's a zero not O

let me know if your PC completly shut down or fans etc etc are still working.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • notforme

The issue isn't the fact it won't shut down, the issue is the motherboard is still sucking power.

"I do not pay for the electricity so I dont know how much, but after powering down, my fan, keyboard (back lit) mouse, monitor, webcam, speakers and of couse, power indicator all remain on.
    There is also no sound difference between being on, and off."

• IronFly

Fans are running or not when you shutdown?

• notforme

Sorry, I see what you are saying. I will be co-operative and do the command. The constant on time has caused the computer to take 5 minutes to start up, so I will post when I find out.

• IronFly

in the worst case, you can buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-TLP606-Protector-Outlet/dp/B0000AI0N1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431419867&sr=8-4&keywords=power+outlet

so you can completly shutdown and cut off power supply.

• notforme

That is genious... Un-healthy for my PC, but genious... I will do that for now, till then, I did the command, and all parts are still fully on.

• IronFly

i would prefer if you will able to shut it down correctly.

5 minutes to boot up is not good and let me think, there is something else wrong on windows; some background program that hangs or simply windows is hibernating and not shutting down.

• notforme

I have some programs that fight to stop windows for shutting down (all I have to press is "shutdown anyways") It's a common thing, I think.

• IronFly

not common. Smiley Very Happy

• notforme

Not sure if an issue though, as it was always a thing with this computer. But Explorer.exe, and Avast are the 2 softwear that don't like to see windows shut down.

• IronFly

uninstall Avast and try your system without it.

• notforme

Did, but still not fixed. I even went back and forced explorer.exe to be stopped before re-shutting down. I was amazed on how fast it shut down, but the computer is still pulling power.

• IronFly

i don't understand, did you try the command string?

• notforme

yes. I have an issue where my computer shuts down 100%, but the computer continues to pull power. My mother board is pulling power, which is being pushed to the fan, which now never stops spinning. Power is given to my graphic card, which I am not sure where that goes to, same for my sound card. Up top, my mouse, keyboard, and speakers still all on, and my monitors are constantly saying "no signal" instead of saying "power off".

• IronFly

Ok, about fast startup, have you disabled?

• IronFly

Can you please check also the BIOS version?

press Del key at boot.

• notforme

The build is p01-A3. As for fast start up, yes, I have that disabled.

• IronFly

can you please check on BIOS:

under power tab if deep power off is enabled

• notforme

yes, deep power off is enabled.

• IronFly

maybe there's a driver hanging, i had a similar issue on a laptop with windows 8.1 not shutting down, was BT drivers, updated and it worked like a charm.

Have you ever updated the drivers to windows 8 versions?