Can another HDD be added to AZ3-715?

devellis
devellis Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

I have a new Z3-715 and also have an old WD hard drive from an earlier Asus AIO that died.  Its death wasn't related to the HDD as far as I can tell and I'd like to take the old HDD and install it as a second drive in the new 715.  What would I have to do to make this work?  Is there some sort of cable that accommodates two drives that I'd have to add (as on non-AIO desktops)?  Would the bios recognize a second drive?

The other alternative is to swap out the new HDD, replacing it with the old, just for long enough to download all the data to an external drive.  I would then reinstall the drive that came with the new 715 and move data from the external drive to that HDD.  Is this possible?  Are there any special issues or concerns with doing this?  Is there some way to capture the data from the old drive without putting it into the new computer?  I hate to lose all of the data from the older drive, so suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

isn't easier to buy an external USB HDD dock/bay?

if your old HDD is SATA compatbile

something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+hdd+dock&sprefix=usb+hdd+dock%2Caps%2C270&crid=642TFIB09U26

by the way, you can't add a second HDD to your AIO, no additional space or SATA port available.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • devellis
    devellis Member Posts: 2 New User

Great solution.  Thank you.  Kind of embarrassed I didn't think of it myself.

• tas3
    tas3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2019
    Well, looking at a Z3-715-UR61 this seems absolutely possible. On this model there is a second SATA port, power, and, a drive bay area to put a drive in.

Caveats though ...

First is that the power comes off the motherboard right next to the port and uses a different two pin connector at that end - would not say it's not something that can be found just not typical.

Second is that you need a SATA cable that is right sized to reach over without a bunch of slack to hide/tuck.

Third is that while the frame has a place to put a second drive enclosure you would have to get that enclosure. I saw only one when browsing eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-Z3-710-AZ3-710-AIO-system-hard-drive-caddy-cage/173407372183?hash=item285fe28397:g:3csAAOSwBWdZmEDr). However in this case if putting an SSD in this spot given the low vibration and light weight you could be creative.

Lastly is the power supply and handling the extra load but this is likely not a genuine concern given the board is designed to handle it to begin with.

Like IronFly suggested though if you just want to back stuff up, etc use an external :)