Aspire Z3-705 can i use this as a Second monitor

RogWhat
RogWhat Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in All-In-One PCs

Is it possible to use a second monitor with the AZ3-615 using the HDMI port output? I have tried connecting a second monitor but it doesn't show up on the NVDIA graphics control panel. I gues this all in one computer was not built to allow use with a second monitor. Does anyone have a work-around?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Z3-705 has HDMI out

Z3-615 has HDMI out is on the right side of the LAN ethernet port

check if your cable supports HDMI 1.4b

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • RogWhat

Tinkerer

The cable has HDMprinted on it, so probably not.  Is this likely to be the issue?  The thing is, when I pull up the control panel for the NVIDIA Gforce 840M card, it only shows he 3D settings options, not the Displays options, which would normally be used to set up the second monitor, I believe.  The person I chatted to at NVIDIA seemed to think that the ACER manufacturers don't make the appropriate connections on the board to allow a second monitor to be used.  Does anyone know if that's right?  If so, I guess there's no point in trying any further.

• RogWhat

Tinkerer

That should have said "HDMI 1.3" printed on it!

• IronFly
    So the cable is good, even if it's not 1.4b, it must work.

With the secondary monitor connected, right click on desktop and choose Display settings
    Do you see the secondary monitor?
    Click on detect if you have windows 10 and see if it appears.
  • RogWhat

Tinkerer

Many thanks for taking the time to make the suggestions.  Yep, already tried all that - no sign of the second monitor in all the usual places, so I guess that what the helper on the NVIDIA chat line was saying is correct - you can't use a second monitor with this all-in-one PC.  The reason I came on this discussion site was that I can't actually find anything on the ACER website that explicitly says this, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue, or perhaps I am missing something.  Given the HDMI port at the back, I happily expected to be able to hook up a second monitor to the PC and work-away with it - done it many times on other systems (admittedly not all-in-ones) - but nope, not this one! 

• IronFly
    There's a discussion about the Z3-705 and secondary monitor and no one was able to use it.

I don't have other ideas, to be honest.
  • RogWhat

Tinkerer

Thanks anyway, your time and consideration are much appreciated. Going to sign this one off now but it might be useful to someone else if they have the same issue. Best wishes.  

• MarksydeDogsled
    MarksydeDogsled Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey there!! I have an ACER Aspire Z3-705 all in one PC and its not doing too badly. I have recently built myself a PC that has significantly better performance than available in this all in one. Can I use this model of all in one as a monitor for my PC?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Sure. Connect the other computer to the HDMI-In port on the Z3-705. Make sure the power cord is connected to th AIO and that it is not booted, as in shut down Windows if it loads, then turn on the other computer. Your system should be seen as an external display for it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.