Acer 7600u boots up sometimes...

ATGiant
ATGiant Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hey all. I'm at a loss...

I have an Aspire 7600U that has been on the shelf for a while because of an issue I haven't been able to resolve. I've replaced the mainboard already with the same results so I just want to get that out of the way.

This thing used to work fine, but one day I decided to upgrade it to Windows 10 on an SSD. It was a challenge but I was able to get it to work. I removed the old harddrive intact, put the SSD in and installed Windows 10. I had that graphics issue everyone else had but was able to resolve it. My problem now is the computer only boots around 1 in every 20 tries lets say. The rest of the time it's just a black screen indefinately. To get it to work I have to unplug the power, and sometimes the battery as I have the back panel off and the CMOS is reset each time. Even then it doesn't always work. I've tried reinstalling the old harddrive with Windows 8.1 to no avail. Same problem. I'm not the only one with this issue yet I haven't seen a resolution despite all the searching that I've done. I'm pretty savvy with computers as it is my profession but this one has me stumped. Firmware is up to date blah blah. Acer has hinted at the SSD upgrade, but I can't even get it to post which really should have nothing to do with the SSD to post. I've tried several different SSD's with the same results as I have seen some systems not boot because of disk drive compatibility. That is super rare though. 

If anyone can give me a hand that would be great. I'm not quite ready to junk this thing as it would be a great garage system for when I work on the car and want to listen to spotify or something, but for anything else, I have a primary desktop.

Thanks!

Answers

• Victour
    Victour Member Posts: 8 New User

Did you go into Bios and make sure the SSD is the boot device ?

• ATGiant
    ATGiant Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply! That is not the problem though. Most of the time when I turn the computer on it just sits on a blank screen. NOTHING pops up so I can't even get into the BIOS. You can hear the system power up and everything but the screen just never turns on. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to anything. It just randomly will start sometimes...super frustrating

• admarm
    admarm Member Posts: 1 New User
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div>We had somewhat the same problem 
    with a new gamer computer we built for the Grandkids

we found the glitch was the windows software. 

The creators upgrades are out seems like it is being patched on the fly. 

Finally after we got the system to boot, we quickly did a update scan then re booted, scanned again and updated, continued the process until it was fully up to date. 
    Note: we did the updates prior, but in just a short time new patches updates was coming in. 

If this is not the problem
    next next I would check out the PSU 

if if anyone finds this info helpful, my Ethereum address is
    0xe967b943b814b1cabdc0ccff7d4d1167f67d97a1

<blockquote class="Quote"><blockquote class="Quote"><div>
    </div></blockquote></blockquote></div></blockquote></blockquote>