x3995 Video card upgrade

tedtheo
tedtheo Member Posts: 2 New User

I am having a problem upgrading the video card on the Acer Aspire x3995.  When I install a VisionTek Radeon 5450 VHDCI B2 PCIe card into the machine it does not display any video whatsoever.  Once the VisionTek is installed there's no video from the onboard VGA nor from the new video card so I can't see the BIOS.

How might I proceed in this scenario?  Is there a jumper setting on the motherboard that I need to change?

Best Answer

• JC_1234
    JC_1234 Member Posts: 198 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Typically when you install a discrete video card the onboard is disabled. That being said, this unit looks like it has a 220W power supply and their site says it needs to have a 250W or greater so you might need to upgrade the power supply first, if you haven't already.

Answers

• JC_1234
    JC_1234 Member Posts: 198 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Typically when you install a discrete video card the onboard is disabled. That being said, this unit looks like it has a 220W power supply and their site says it needs to have a 250W or greater so you might need to upgrade the power supply first, if you haven't already.

• Bodi
    Bodi Member Posts: 22 New User

Hi can I ask if you installed any drivers (may be from a CD that came with it) before installing the hard ware?

The other post suggests a power pack problem take a look at the new hard ware instructions to see if you do need a stronger power pack. I upgraded my computer to a 500 watt power pack before making any up grades just to make absolutely sure there was enough power to run every thing. It is also worth taking a look to see what power packs your computer supports.

It is not always as simple as plugging some thing in and hoping it all works later, do a little home work first go to PC world and ask what will work first.

Worst scenario here is for you to unplug it and set your computer back to factory settings and start again but first arm your self with the knowledge you'll need to make things will work.

A bit bleeding obvious I know but............good luck Smiley Very Happy

• tedtheo
    tedtheo Member Posts: 2 New User

I assumed that because there wasn't a separate power connection to the card that wouldn't be an issue but you're absolutely correct that the VisionTek site makes it clear that a 250w PSU is required.  I own a business and we have about 10 PCs that we've upgraded with the exact same card without issue.  That's why I've kept buying the card even though there are cheaper alternatives.  I've never run into an indadequate PSU so live and learn I suppose.

Thanks for your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.