warranty, setup, I am a newie with New acer laptop/notebook E1-532-48

ROSEVICTORIA54
ROSEVICTORIA54 Member Posts: 11 New User

New acer laptop/notebook E1-532-48. I got stuck on the weather page for pete's sake. I don't know about drivers and what ever else needs to be done. I want to get to add/remove programs to see what security i have, or get to the security page. looks like i have McAfee from shaw, norton online backup is on my screen. Apparently I shuld install avast free. I want to use a good search engine with explorer, but what one?

how do i navigate this thing

i am very unhappy with this machine, doesn't even have light indicator for caps and number lock.

thank you

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Please explain what you mean by "stuck on the weather page". What weather page? I assume you did this from inside the "internet explorer" browser. A good search engine for the browser is "bing" which likely is already in your browser "favorites" section or subsection thereof by default. You can add google to the "favorites" section or have it listed on a toolbar or just about anywhere else on the browser's screen if you play around with it.

To review "add/remove programs", you need to get into the "control panel" tool.  If you don't see an item named "programs" from control panel, then enter "programs" in control panel's search function.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ROSEVICTORIA54

Hello Jack, thank you for your reply. there must be hundreds. So, I turned it on and got passed the first screen with the all the colours, got to the next screen, I did not go on the Internet for all this, it was just there, and it had start, and below are all kinds of things, skype,  people, weather, calendar, camera, ebay,. etc. So I clicked on the weather, simple enough right, lol I tried escape, lol, i moved the cursor and clicked all over until finally it revealed a way out. so that's okay now. I got that. Administrator(me) icon.   I made it to the next screen has the Microsoft squares bottom left where it should be so that was good. The back ground is just grass, anyway,(i know that can be changed)  it has, private wifi, McAfee, norton online backup that came with the computer this is where the troubles start, i know too much security is not good, but what is? I saved a long time for this and i want it properly protected  " from me " and my blunders and Trojans and viruses and all the other nastiness,  i am willing to pay to make it safe from me and the world. I have to wait until next month however. I know a tiny bit about cookies(i don't like that name lol, always always make me want real cookies, lol). There is about 7 icons in the tray. icons at the other end are the usual time, sound, plugged in, some hidden icons, you know the regular stuff. One thing, it has the time, the date like usual, If possible i would like to have the day of the week like this old one I am typing on.

I don't know about things like, cloud i guess that is something about pictures and saving, drivers i know they are serious and need to be addressed, but i don't know enough. acer games, amazon(buying stuff), now acer media, i use on here windows media player, I also know a tiny bit about Nero which is on here as you know. File Explorer?? Kinda self explanatory, but have never seen that.

I have discovered the Apps by category page, wow, approximately 135 icons, never heard of some of this stuff. Puts me in a real pickle because i am notorious for going where i shouldn't go, (then truing to find someone who will fix it for free)but didn't know I should not have gone there until it's too late. There are so many things on my old computer i never used sadly.

I guess I am a long winded old person. why? why did they not put the light indicators on this machine for number lock and cap lock. This one feature missing that makes me want to return it. It's going to be a nightmare. Did not notice nor looked for in the store, didn't think I had to.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

>>>If possible i would like to have the day of the week like this old one I am typing on.>>>

OK, what is the 'old one' you're typing on? An Apple machine? A Linux machine? A Windows XP, Vista or 7 machine? It would help to know where you're coming from.

>>> why? why did they not put the light indicators on this machine for number lock and cap lock.>>>

Heh-heh! I'll give you one guess and one clue to get the correct answer. The clue --- indicator hardware costs money. 8^) There are software ways around this annoyance --- I have them already installed on my machine --- and I'll try to help get them on your machine after you've had a chance to play around with it awhile.  

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• ROSEVICTORIA54

you and i started this saturday sept. 13 and it's now 1:51am sunday 14th, is that what you mean or i'm not getting it. lol

It's called an Emachine window xp service pack 2, 14 tears old, with an old glass Samsung monitor, been thru a couple of keyboards couple mice.

Ya Jack, follow the money .the money goes up the food chain, and trickles by a small watering can. those jerks at IYOGI, , AS SOON AS SHE SAID " YOU BUY BLABLA " good bye . I could barley understand her.

I always blunder when I am on a community , i search and  can't get anywhere, anyways so far we are doing pretty good so far.

alma

This discussion has been closed.