downgrade to windows 7?

shujina
shujina Member Posts: 6 New User

I understand Microsoft has limited downgrading Wins 8 (win 8.1) to Win 7 by Mfgr/Model/Other.  I purchased my Acer Predator (AG3620-UR318) SN: DTSJPAA005243040259200 last March. I have given Win 8.1 a whole year to shoiw it is the OS I should have. It is NOT the OS I wish to use in my Acer computer.

I my attempts to ascertain whether or not I am even permitted to downgrade even if I buy a new License for Windows 7 Home Premium or whatever may be required; I hear mixed opinions. Where can I find the true answer to my question. Even if Acer will no longer support my machine after downgrading to Windows 7, I want to downgrade, since my initial mfr warranty has already expired. My Predator was not offered with a WIn7 OS when I bought it at Tiger Direct.

This is maddening. Never before has MS prohibited downgrading to a previous supported Windows OS as I am aware of. It is enough to drive a lot of us to Macs (omg, did I even consider saying that?)

Thanks

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

I have an older Gateway FX6830 that I've upgraded the video card on a couple times, but I actually bought an 840 EVO - 250G SDD back in December and that's when I went to Windows 8.1 and I haven't looked back. It's is just a harddrive. In fact going through the normal Windows 7 (or Win 8) install process provides you with a quick and easy way to format the drive, setup partitions. I'm sure BestBuy will do a good job, but I also would suggest that it's a good learning experience, pretty easy once you've done it, and even if you mess it up, BestBuy can still do it for you. Might be worth it for the cost savings, maybe some folks on the community have more advice.

As an Acer representative, I'm not here to be a retention for Windows 8.1, but personally, I do feel that people have given it a negative sterotype unfairly, and I think it's a decent OS, especially after the Windows 8.1 update. It clearly is a quicker and more efficient OS than Windows 7 according to the testing. So with that said, I'm just trying to provide another prospective so that people can make the best decision...maybe going through the entire process of installing Windows 7 isn't worth the benefits once you get everything you can out of Windows 8. And maybe it is...if so, that's great too. I've got a couple personal opinions on the the issues you've brought up.

shujina wrote:

As for my disillusionment with Windows 8 and 8.1? I have quite a few; some probably only important to me but still a disillusion and missed dearly. I also have a tablet with Windows 8 which I do not mind as I use it only for tracking my DVDs, Music, and Home Inventory. The computer that I am disillusioned with Win 8,1 on is my Acer predator for these reasons:

• I am an avid Chess fan and love MS Chess Titans so much I play many games daily or almost daily. They did not include it in Windows 8 and do not offer it in that format anywhere. Third party chess games just do not measure up to the resolution and play quality as Chess Titans.

Understood, not much can be done about this...a gamers gotta game Smiley Happy

• I do not have a Touch screen monitor, scrolling across panels of tiles in Windows 8 makes me reposition the cursor everytime I continue to scroll after pausing on a screen.

I haven't touched the panels (modern UI) since the day I installed Windows 8.1. The 4th FAQ here (http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32011) shows you how to boot into the desktop mode. Everything is doable from the desktop. Once you get Windows 8.1 Update, I reset the boot to desktop mode and nothing even launches in the modern UI (pics, videos, etc...)

• Everytime I need to get to System Information I have to search for it in Windows 8.1, I cannot access it from the Desktop but have to go to the Win8 screen and use the search button to find the Control Panel and then the System icon.

There is a shortcut of Windows Key+Pause/Break that opens up the System information, this is available on both Win 7 and Win 8. Also, in Win 8, Windows Key+X brings up an extremely helpful menus (you can also right click the former Start button icon). I've included an image here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4l1ICJkt55KN25BazlZaUZzbEE/edit?usp=sharing

• A major disillusionment with Windows 8 I have is not having the knowledge of actually closing an application or app as they call it in Win8. When not in the Desktop environment, there are no exit or close options, just go back or flip between open apps. This also opens the opportunities to lose unsaved data. I try not to leave applications open when not being used as it ties up memory, and slows down the system.

Personally, I have stayed completely out of the Modern UI but they've added close and minimize buttons in the Windows 8.1 Update (I'm pretty sure at least that's when they were added). Microsoft will tell you that the system handles this and if there was a chance of the system slowing down, it starts shutting down the oldest used application.

• Then there is the confusing stance Microsoft is taking on this version of Windows. Not permitting the purchasers of computers with Windows 8 or 8.1 preloaded to downgrade to a currently supported OS easily if at all. There are so many restrictions based on MFR, Make, Vesion of Windows 8 on the machine, and the version of Windows they want to downgrade to. This includes the confusion on June 11, 2014 about Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update. MS states that if your computer is set for automatic updates you have nothing to worry about your system will be automatically updated to Windows 8.1 Update. The they state that if you do not udate your 8.1 version to 8.1 Update you will not be eligible for My is set as required and I still only see the version listed as WIndows 8.1 not Windows 8.1 update.

I've never really heard of MS letting people downgrade. I know in the OEM world (of Acer) that we can only support the OS that the system is licenced for. Meaning, we can't provide Win 7 if a customer doesn't like Win 8, but we also could provide XP or vista if you didn't want 7. Maybe I haven't heard about it because it's been easier in the past, but that's not consistent from my experience.

As far as the Windows 8.1 Update, I went in to my updates and found it and installed. It provides some nice quality of live improvements and I believe MS is saying that this update is a requirement for future updates as it changes some things neccessary to support the newer updates, but that's mostly speculation on my part.

I am sure that there may be more effective to do these things; but there is also a learning curve as will as a time element involved. Most of us are not too savvy on OS infrastructure or intermediate/advanced fundamentals. I, personally was not expecting a major relearning process (I am not a spring chicken and my learning curve is almost non-existant) especially since I do not have touch input available on my desktop.

Thank you for your expeditious response. I really appreciated it.

Completely understood, this is all important in making your decision, but for what it's worth, I'm not using touchscreens either.

Answers

• Cory-Acer

Hi shujina,

So, this article is for notebook, but it's basically everything Acer has to help you with this process. Press the DEL key to get into the BIOS instead of F2 and there will be some slight differences, but the concept is still the same: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29401

As far as Acer supporting it, downgrading your system wouldn't void your manufacture warrant with us, however we may ask that you go back to the OEM version of Windows (8 or 8.1) if we needed more information to perform repairs. This is why we stress creating a backup image, and I continue to suggest that you do so, so that you can come back to Windows 8 if/when it may be neccessary for you.

Could you share a couple of your top issues with Windows 8? Maybe there are some tips that could improve your experience. I was late in upgrading Win 8, and I took an hour or two to set things up, but you can barely tell that it isn't Windows 7 except for the icon in place of the start button (which I don't think I've ever left clicked) or the upper right corner where I perform my searches.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• shujina

Wow, Thank you Cory.

Actually, I also bought a bigger SSD than came with the Predator so I am also upgrading the boot disc to 240GB and thought I could purchase a new license for Windows 7 Home Premium which is the same level as my Windows 8.1and have Best Buy format the new SSD and install Windows 7 on it for me as SSD technology is completely new to me (but I love the almost instant start-up times). I tried formating the new SSD myself but it out me in an unfamiliar environment so I backed out and decided to let the Pros do it.

As for my disillusionment with Windows 8 and 8.1? I have quite a few; some probably only important to me but still a disillusion and missed dearly. I also have a tablet with Windows 8 which I do not mind as I use it only for tracking my DVDs, Music, and Home Inventory. The computer that I am disillusioned with Win 8,1 on is my Acer predator for these reasons:

• I am an avid Chess fan and love MS Chess Titans so much I play many games daily or almost daily. They did not include it in Windows 8 and do not offer it in that format anywhere. Third party chess games just do not measure up to the resolution and play quality as Chess Titans.

• I do not have a Touch screen monitor, scrolling across panels of tiles in Windows 8 makes me reposition the cursor everytime I continue to scroll after pausing on a screen.

• Everytime I need to get to System Information I have to search for it in Windows 8.1, I cannot access it from the Desktop but have to go to the Win8 screen and use the search button to find the Control Panel and then the System icon.

• A major disillusionment with Windows 8 I have is not having the knowledge of actually closing an application or app as they call it in Win8. When not in the Desktop environment, there are no exit or close options, just go back or flip between open apps. This also opens the opportunities to lose unsaved data. I try not to leave applications open when not being used as it ties up memory, and slows down the system.

• Then there is the confusing stance Microsoft is taking on this version of Windows. Not permitting the purchasers of computers with Windows 8 or 8.1 preloaded to downgrade to a currently supported OS easily if at all. There are so many restrictions based on MFR, Make, Vesion of Windows 8 on the machine, and the version of Windows they want to downgrade to. This includes the confusion on June 11, 2014 about Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update. MS states that if your computer is set for automatic updates you have nothing to worry about your system will be automatically updated to Windows 8.1 Update. The they state that if you do not udate your 8.1 version to 8.1 Update you will not be eligible for My is set as required and I still only see the version listed as WIndows 8.1 not Windows 8.1 update.

I am sure that there may be more effective to do these things; but there is also a learning curve as will as a time element involved. Most of us are not too savvy on OS infrastructure or intermediate/advanced fundamentals. I, personally was not expecting a major relearning process (I am not a spring chicken and my learning curve is almost non-existant) especially since I do not have touch input available on my desktop.

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

I have an older Gateway FX6830 that I've upgraded the video card on a couple times, but I actually bought an 840 EVO - 250G SDD back in December and that's when I went to Windows 8.1 and I haven't looked back. It's is just a harddrive. In fact going through the normal Windows 7 (or Win 8) install process provides you with a quick and easy way to format the drive, setup partitions. I'm sure BestBuy will do a good job, but I also would suggest that it's a good learning experience, pretty easy once you've done it, and even if you mess it up, BestBuy can still do it for you. Might be worth it for the cost savings, maybe some folks on the community have more advice.

As an Acer representative, I'm not here to be a retention for Windows 8.1, but personally, I do feel that people have given it a negative sterotype unfairly, and I think it's a decent OS, especially after the Windows 8.1 update. It clearly is a quicker and more efficient OS than Windows 7 according to the testing. So with that said, I'm just trying to provide another prospective so that people can make the best decision...maybe going through the entire process of installing Windows 7 isn't worth the benefits once you get everything you can out of Windows 8. And maybe it is...if so, that's great too. I've got a couple personal opinions on the the issues you've brought up.

shujina wrote:

Understood, not much can be done about this...a gamers gotta game Smiley Happy

I haven't touched the panels (modern UI) since the day I installed Windows 8.1. The 4th FAQ here (http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32011) shows you how to boot into the desktop mode. Everything is doable from the desktop. Once you get Windows 8.1 Update, I reset the boot to desktop mode and nothing even launches in the modern UI (pics, videos, etc...)

There is a shortcut of Windows Key+Pause/Break that opens up the System information, this is available on both Win 7 and Win 8. Also, in Win 8, Windows Key+X brings up an extremely helpful menus (you can also right click the former Start button icon). I've included an image here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4l1ICJkt55KN25BazlZaUZzbEE/edit?usp=sharing

Personally, I have stayed completely out of the Modern UI but they've added close and minimize buttons in the Windows 8.1 Update (I'm pretty sure at least that's when they were added). Microsoft will tell you that the system handles this and if there was a chance of the system slowing down, it starts shutting down the oldest used application.

I've never really heard of MS letting people downgrade. I know in the OEM world (of Acer) that we can only support the OS that the system is licenced for. Meaning, we can't provide Win 7 if a customer doesn't like Win 8, but we also could provide XP or vista if you didn't want 7. Maybe I haven't heard about it because it's been easier in the past, but that's not consistent from my experience.

As far as the Windows 8.1 Update, I went in to my updates and found it and installed. It provides some nice quality of live improvements and I believe MS is saying that this update is a requirement for future updates as it changes some things neccessary to support the newer updates, but that's mostly speculation on my part.

Completely understood, this is all important in making your decision, but for what it's worth, I'm not using touchscreens either.

• shujina

Thank You Cory for such a detailed reply. You made a lot of sense so I will give 8.1 another try and also to install the larger SSD myself. I will let you know how it goes.

I am still confused though on one point: Versions of Windows 8. I am still correct in deducing from the latest info from Microsoft© that there are three (3) version of Windows 8:

Windows 8

Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 Update

The MS info was worded in such a way that I took it to mean there is a Windows 8.1 (upgrade) and a Windows 8.1 Udate.

I have always been set for "Automatic Updates" in Windows and ran three updates today but my version still says Windows Edition: Windows 8.1.

Thanks again

• Cory-Acer

I guess you could say that there are 3 versions, but they'll all lead to the same place. Windows 8 can update to 8.1 and to 8.1 update. I don't fully understand how they're reprsented according to Microsoft or if there's some legal reason that they're not "service packs".

You won't see Windows 8.1 Update in your System page, but you can go to Control Panel -> Windows Updates -> Update History and you should see "Windows 8.1 Updates (KB 2919355)" and successed or needing a restart if it's there. Otherwise it should be available under Important Updates.

• shujina

Thanks again Cory for the clarification. That makes things a lot clearer. They (MS) have deviated so much from previous standards in this version of WIndows, it is just so confusing to us laypersons.

This discussion has been closed.