cant connect to wifi

brentbarassi
brentbarassi Member Posts: 1 New User

JUST GOT AN ACER ASPIRE M3420 AND EVERY TIME I CLICK ON MY WIFI AND TYPE IN MY PASSWORD, IT SAYS 'CAN'T CONNECT TO THIS NETWORK'. I HAVE TRIED TROUBLESHOOTING BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK! NEED URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

This error can occur due to two reasons; either by your Wi-Fi security type or incorrect IP configuration on your PC. Have you tried restarting your computer after this error and then attempt to reconnect?

I would suggest using the builtin Windows 8 Network Diagnostics tool. The following steps can help you find and use the tool:

1. Go to Start Screen by pressing the windows key on keyboard.
    2. From the Start Screen, type identify and repair network problems. Click on the search result Identify and repair network problems.
    3. The Windows Network Diagnostics’ tool window will open on desktop. The tool will scan your network connection and PC for error and if some errors are found then, the tool will try to fix the issue(s) or advise what may be the problem.

If the Windows Network Diagnostics tool can’t fix your network error then, it may be possible that your Wi-Fi router has some problems. Resetting your Wi-FI router or restarting it may solve the issue.

• kmartin821
    kmartin821 Member Posts: 2 New User

Okay so I did the identify and repair steps.  It came back to me with problem with wireless adaptor or access point, not fixed.  And a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken, detected.

What I can't understand is that my iphone can connect to my home network but my laptop cannot.  I have also had my laptop connected to other networks before but this one is new since I recently moved.

Please let me know what I can do to correct this problem.

Thank you,

[edited for privacy]

• Ryanrr

This can usualy be caused by IP problems or if your access point (your router) has multiple devices connected at once. I would recommend restarting your modem if you have not done so already. This is done by removing the routers power and ehternet cable for 30 seconds or more. Then plug everything back up and wait for the connection to establish. Then try connecint your notebook.

Another way to make sure you are not experiencing hardware problems, is try connecting to another network outside your house. This can be a local hotspot, such as Starbucks or Barnes and Nobles, or a friends wireless network. If the computer connects fine then its a problem with your router/configuration.

• kmartin821
    kmartin821 Member Posts: 2 New User

I will try taking my laptop to a hotspot but in the meantime do you know why the network doesn't give me the box to put the password?  It just shows that is trying to connect then comes back with the can't connect to this network error. Thank you for your help.

• Ryanrr

That is because you entered it once and no longer asks for it. You can fix this by "forgetting" that network and then when you try to reconnect again it will allow for you to input your password.

Windows 7 steps to forget/delete a wireless network:

1. Open Network and Sharing Center.
    2. In the Tasks pane, click Manage wireless networks.
    3. Right-click the connection you want to delete, and then click Remove network.
    4. In the Manage Wireless Networks - Warning dialog box, click OK.

Windows 8 steps:

1. Open the Charms Bar, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    2. Tap or click Network, tap or click Connections, and then tap or click the connection you want to change.
    3. On the page that appears, make the changes you want. 

This discussion has been closed.