boot disk error

e661e
e661e Member Posts: 5 New User

When I put on the computer all I get is a black screen with the message

error: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.

I have various recovery programs that check hard disk structure and assist in recovering wanted programs but none are off any use because I cannot run them. Any ideas or is that the end of my hard drive?

I have a Acer XC-100.

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Hi e661e

Yes, it sounds as if your hard drive has failed, and will need to be replaced.

It's a long shot, but you could open up your PC and check that the SATA or power cable hasn't become loose, but it is likely the drive is dead!

Answers

• finlux
    Answer ✓

Hi e661e

Yes, it sounds as if your hard drive has failed, and will need to be replaced.

It's a long shot, but you could open up your PC and check that the SATA or power cable hasn't become loose, but it is likely the drive is dead!

• e661e

Yes I had lost the drive as it is RAW however using a little device I was able to connect my hard drive to another computer and using a recovery program I have salvaged those files I wanted and can reformat my old hard drive. All I now have to work out is how to get Windows back in. Anyone know if Acer supplies a windows back up disk. Oh by the way my problem stemmed from putting a bogus password finder program into the computer which hit me with a virus or trojan. Keep safe check what you are loading. 

• finlux

Wise advice about being wary of programs that you're loading!

Recovery disks are available from Acer. Go to support for your region for further details.

• e661e

Thanks! On my way.

• sirpoetie
    sirpoetie Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi

I have similar problem with my Acer AXC600-UR13 . I replaced the harddrive ,still did not work  clearing the cmos did not solve the problem, replaced the memoryram did not solve it one other thing that is worth noting when i turned on the f12 bootscreen in de bios menu , when i start up and hit f12 instead of the boot menu still the error message appears. is there someting i'm missing

• finlux

Hi sirpoetie

Is the error message you're seeing exactly the same as e661e was having?

Also, when you fitted the new hard drive, how did you reinstall Windows? Was there any error messages whilst doing so?

• sirpoetie

Yes it's the same error message as e661 . I have not been able to install the windows on the new harddrive because of the error message mentioned by e661 it does not want to boot . it does not even want to show the f12 boot menu when I hit the f12 key I get that same error

• finlux

Check that the new hard disk is connected properly - replace the sata cable and/or use a different sata power connector.

The computer is not seeing your hard drive because of 2 possible issues

1. The sata cables (as mentioned above)

2. The new hard drive is not working.

If after changing cables there is no change, then try the hard drive in another computer to see if it being recognised. Also listen out for the usual hard drive sounds - just to make sure it is receiving power.

• sirpoetie

It is seeing the hartddrive it's the booting that seems to be the issue . I checked the harddrive and cable and they don't seem to have a problem

2014-02-13 09.58.05.jpg

• finlux

Can you boot into BIOS (F2 on startup)?

From there you can change the boot order to optial drive if installing Windows from disks, or USB memory stick (or similar) if installing from a USB stick.

• sirpoetie

F2 also brings me to the error message noting related to booting seems to work 

• finlux

Sorry. I should have said Press Del to enter BIOS. F2 is for laptops Smiley Embarassed

• e661e

Although I managed to clean my hard drive I have not yet attempted to reinstall windows as the startup disc promised by Acer never arrived and I do not want to install another system disc. Perhaps eventually I will but for now Acer is not top of my agenda as I now have an Advent. Thanks for all the advice but now I hope everyone learns from my mistake. And rememers that just because it looks legit think Is It?

• finlux
    Hi e661e

If Acer haven't sent your disks, I'd get back in contact with them ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.