Wifi Issue V7 - 482PG - Default Gateway Reset - Intel 7260

gbalstad
gbalstad Member Posts: 8 New User

Greetings,

I am going to chronicle my experience with this issue. I have an Acer V7-482PG-9884 with an Intel 7260 AC wireless card running Windows 8.1 which was upgraded from Windows 8. Every 20-30 minutes, and sometimes more frequently, the internet connection drops while still connected to Wifi. Upon running the auto fix within internet explorer, Microsoft identifies the issue as a "The Defaul Gateway is Not Available." The internet connection is reset, and everything works fine for another 15-30 minutes whereby the issue repeats.

I've tried everything, switching to a different Intel Card 6205, using each and every driver available from Intel, nothing seems to properly remedy the issue. This includes playing with the power settings, turning off and on bluetooth, etc.

This is a known and widespread issue with Acer, Intel, and Microsoft.

I viable solution is not readily accesible or knowable.

I have elected to send my laptop into Acer for repairs, and I will update this post as I find out more information. If Acer is able to remedy the issue, I will attempt to ascertain how the accomplished this.

Please report any similar issues to this thread, and I'll keep you all posted as well.

Link to wireless connectivity test:

http://blog.devicenull.org/connectiontest/

Link to intel discussion on the 7260 evidencing the known issue:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/47983?start=0&tstart=0

Answers

• gbalstad

Is anyboby else having this issue, or made aware of it? I see countless complaints on the Intel forums about this wireless card in particular. Is anyone else having issues?

Thanks!

Gunnar

• gbalstad

Okay, I sent my laptop into Acer under warranty repairs. They claimed to have fixed this issue by re-flashing the BIOS. I haven't received the laptop back yet, but I'll write a report once I've tested it. Maybe you all can try this in the meantime.

Gunnar

• gbalstad

Update: Acer V7 482PG – 9884 with WIN 8.1 and 7260 AC DOES NOT WORK

I received the laptop back from Acer warranty repair stating, “Wifi seems to be working fine.”

Upon testing my laptop the wifi disconnected after 20 minutes.

Acer did nothing to fix the issue, and ignored my print outs of the “Default Gateway not Available” wifi adapter reset troubleshooting documents.

Acer service told me that this was an Intel issue, and that I should wait for a driver fix.

I’ve saved all dialogues between myself and Acer as well as with Intel.

This is a known issue, with no fix thus far.

At least for Windows 8 and 8.1.

I bought Windows 7, pieced together all drivers, and have had no issues as of yet.

My solution was to rid myself of the god-awful Windows 8 and 8.1, and use Windows 7, where the Intel 7260 AC works just fine, at least for me.

At some point I’ll be attempting to bill Acer or Intel for the purchase of Windows 7.

If Intel does not fix this, I sincerely think they should either recall their use of the 7260 with Windows 8,

Bottom line, I got the 7260 to work in Windows 7, but not Windows 8 or 8.1.

P.S. Intel told me to use another wifi card, and I bought and tried both the 2230, and the 6205, neither worked in Windows 8 or 8.1.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi gbalstad,

I'm not aware of any widespread issues with V7-482PG. A couple suggestions would be to try different networks, possibly a friends, and a public spot like a starbucks. If you get different results, it could tell you that there may be a setting or configuration issue with your router. Interference is also a possibility.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• Nobal
    Nobal Member Posts: 3 New User

i'm glad tech support linked me to the acer support forums after we were done talking about sending my computer in. i'm also glad i did a search and found your thread. you're going to save me money on shipping. you also saved me 7-10 business days without my computer and the "i told you so" to acer tech support. 

i wish i kept the conversation i had with live chat. he was so confident.

i'm having the same exact problem with my v7 482pg-6629. i told him it's the card, he said sending my laptop in would restore my faith in acer support if i sent it to them and they fixed it. that's how confident he was.

i said the only way they were going to fix it is if they replaced the intel 7260 card with another brand. the card needs to be recalled. the problem with this card and windows 8/.1 is all over the message boards across the web. not just acer, all brands of computers.

what's funny, before even reading your thread, i told him i'm going to spend $30+ on shipping to get my computer back to hear nothing is wrong with it. because they, will do a speed test when they turn it on, see it's running fine. walk away, come back maybe an hour later do another speed test with the same results. they,ll make sure everything is updated, which it will be and send it back. my time and money wasted and i'll just be more frustrated. 

there's a big difference between real world use and IT testing. 

he said he understands my frustration, (right out of live chat handbook) i told him i just want someone to document it and actually listen. no more blowing off the real issue. doesn't anyone do any research?

to any ACER REP that really CARES about your PRODUCT and your CUSTOMER.. you have a RECALLS page... for the love of all that is holy, add the Intel Wireless-N 7260

• gbalstad

Cory,

Either you are being insincere with your comments, or Acer has no clue what kind of hardware it uses in its laptops. I encourage Acer to do their homework on this issue as Intel has. Stop ignoring this issue or recall the laptops with the 7260, or other Intel wifi cards that do not work with Windows 8/8.1. Either Acer or Intel will reimburse me for Windows 7 within a year, guaranteed.

• gbalstad

So true, and thanks for chimming in! Try to load Windows 7 on your machine, it was worked great for me for the last 2 months...

• Nobal

need to find windows 7 64 bit i can download since i don't have a cd drive. also, once you get reimbursed, you're going to have to tell me how and where to get my money for windows 7 as well.

If intel and acer ever figure out this mess, i'll go back to windows 8 via backup thumbdrive. (if that's possible)

this is actually my second v7 as i got a replacement from amazon thinking i got a lemon. i like the computer, it has everything i want in a computer for the price but i've been dealing with this wifi connection issue since FEB. 

it's time acer does something for me to make me happy... to make me appreciate their brand like i used to... to make me recommend them to friends and family like i have in the past. 

the time of me sticking up for acer products is fastly fading away.. 

• Nobal

it's getting worse. not sure what to do anymore. really hoping windows 9 fixes it. i found this but haven't tried it yet. https://communities.intel.com/message/253434#253434

This discussion has been closed.