R7 hanging up on restart

Shumidog
Shumidog Member Posts: 6 New User

I tried to install 8.1 and it hung up. so I restarted the machine. Message was restoring previous version of windows. This hung up also. Restarted again said I had a config problem and gave me a restart button which I pressed. It hung up again. and goes no further. Been sitting there for an hour. What do I do?

Best Answer

• Shumidog
    Answer ✓

The boot flash drive did the trick.

My best guess as to why I had the problem is that the pre-installed virus software I never activated, had activated and because I didn't turn it off messed up the install. That software is now history. Replaced it with the free MS software.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,435 Trailblazer

You probably need to enable the disk-to-disk D2D recovery option in the bios.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shumidog

What is this (there is no disk drive) and how do I do it?

• Erlington
    Erlington Member Posts: 19 New User

Do you have your BIOS on UEFI mode? Does your hard disk is on GPT Partition?. Please let me now for helping you 

Regards

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,435 Trailblazer

>>>What is this (there is no disk drive) and how do I do it?>>>

Yes, you do have a hard disk drive inside the computer's case.

To enable D2D, press F2 at the Acer logo when you power on the machine. This brings up the bios menu. Go to the boot menu to enable D2D. Then exit and save the configuration. Then try to re-install.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shumidog

Bios is on UEF I  Do not know what GPT partition is but I have not change anything.

• Shumidog

D2D was already enabled. Still says there is a problem and it needs to restart the computer. And then it repeats.

• Erlington
    Erlington Member Posts: 19 New User

GPT partitions are created when you install Windows 8 or 8.1 (never mind), what about you change your Bios  to Legacy BIOS intead of UEFI.

Regards

• Shumidog

I've ordered the boot flash drive from ACER. Doesn't seem to be anything else I can do.  I'll let you know how that works. Thanks for the help.

• Shumidog
    Answer ✓

The boot flash drive did the trick.

My best guess as to why I had the problem is that the pre-installed virus software I never activated, had activated and because I didn't turn it off messed up the install. That software is now history. Replaced it with the free MS software.

This discussion has been closed.