Questions about updating Aspire M5-583P to Windows 8.1

Wildstar
Wildstar Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I would like to update my Apsire M5-583P to Windows 8.1, but being a bit of a novice at this I would like to confirm a few details first:

1) Acer's instructions for the update suggest first updating the BIOS to the latest version. Looking at the BIOS version downloads listed on Acer's site for the M5-583P, the latest version appears to be 2.28 (released 5/13/2014).  Is this the one I should use?  I have heard about problems with upgrading the BIOS incorrectly, so I would like to make sure.

2) Acer's instructions suggest I "uninstall any Intel and/or NVIDIA VGA drivers before updating to Windows 8.1." This may be a silly question, but will uninstalling the VGA driver not cause display problems before and during thw Windows update?

3) After updating the PC to Windows 8.1, Acer recommends confirming the correct drivers are installed. Is there some one-touch way of confirming the status of all driverss, or is it necessary to check each device one-by-one?

Thank you very much

Answers

• desi
    desi Member Posts: 1 New User

I have this computer.  I did the upgrade to Windows 8.1.  I too had apprehension about the bios uprade, so I never did it.  I used the Windows store to do the upgrade and let them take care of the drivers.  I did have bluetooth and wifi issues so I installed the Win 8.1 drivers.  I did not unistall anything and I did not do any VGA drivers.  I recommendation is to do the upgrade and let Microsoft give you the drivers that you need.  If everything works fine leave it alone.  If you have connectivitiy problems (bluetooth and wifi) then uprade.  BTW, I think Acer supports is terrible.

This discussion has been closed.