Problems with Acer Iconia B1-A71

benacerie
benacerie Member Posts: 3 New User

I purchased an Iconia B1 from eBay in September 2013. From mid December it has started misbehaving on me.

Several keys on the on-screen keyboard do not function, and programs regularly exit - appearing as if the "back" button has been pressed.

I have reset it, more than once, but it has not solved the issue.

I have an SD in it, but I cannot see how that could be causing anything. The warranty expired in Feb 2013, so before contacting Acer for repair, I'd like to see if there's anythign I am missing myself.

All help/advice appreciated.

Answers

• roadwarrior796
    roadwarrior796 Member Posts: 273 Practitioner WiFi Icon

If using the reset button did not cure the problem you could opt for a system wipe using the power and volume buttons, this would wipe all your personal stuff from the tablet and would be a last resort as it reboots the android system too. You could also go for a factory reset in the settings menu, this would return the tablet to new condition, if you go for either of these back up your personal stuff to ex drive or ex SD, remove any ex SD BEFORE the reset. It's also possible that the erratic behaviour is down to a recently downloaded app, consider removing recent ones to check. Before doing any of the aforementioned clean the cache and delete all the history in your browsers as you would do to optimise a P C. The All in One Toolbox from the Play Store would clean out the cache and optimise your device.

• benacerie

Thanks for the response. I have reset the tablet, both via settings menu and via power/volume buttons, including wiping the cache partition and wiping data/factory reset.

The issue is still ongoing. The external SD card is out, and the internal SD card appears to be formatted - as only a few standard folders remain on it.

• roadwarrior796

Sadly there does not seem much more you can do, given the age of the tablet I don't think a repair would be viable, guess it comes down to whether you can just put up with it's odd behaviour. Sorry not to be able to suggest anything else.

• benacerie
    Do Acer offer repair, even for a cost, on tablets out of warranty?

I could not put up with the behaviour, its mostly unusable.
  • roadwarrior796

I guess they will but given the fact that the price of tablets is going down I'd imagine that the repair would represent quite a high percentage of the price of a new one. Don't know where you live but you will have a service department for your part of the world, check the home page under "support".

This discussion has been closed.