No background display image anymore

peter1212
peter1212 Member Posts: 26 New User

I was changing setting 2 days ago and i can nto see the display background anymore, its all balck now, when i go to change the background only the frame color change but the background do not change. if i right click an image and set it as background of course it is nto working either.

I may have blocked windows to display background but i do not remember what i did, any help will be appreciated.

thank you 

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Hi peter1212

I'm not sure what setting you've actually changed, but try System Restore and go back to a date when the desktop background was showing...
  • peter1212

it says no restore point. i tried that. thank you.

yes i finally had a restore point 2 days earlier but it was unsucessfull, to choose another restore point but there is not anymore. It is what the restore windows was saying, the background still black, icons are displayed. but i can not change the background anymore.

I do not have any other restore point. I re download bing desktop and again it does not display it,too.

• finlux

I take it you've not changed any setting in personalize (Right clicking an empty part of your desktop)?

See here for other help on your problem...!

• peter1212

yes I can right clcik the black display but then when i choose a new background it does not work. When I update background only the bottom line change of color, as you can see its dark green now.

acer forum.pngmaybe i did this yes? i have windows 8.1 and your link is about windows7 ? or?  thnak you

• finlux
    Even though the link is for Windows 7, it should still work with 8.1.

Give the options a try, and let us know how you get on....
  • peter1212

thanks Pionner so i wnet throug all steps.

here i could not do it. and it maybe related to my problem:

1. Click Start, type Group Policy in the Search box, and then click Edit Group Policy on the list.
    2. Click User Configuration, click Administrative Templates, click Desktop, and then click Desktop again. 
    3. Double-click Desktop WallpaperSelect.

and re renaming this file this is what i end up to get now. 3 of them.

acer2222.jpg

• You could also try entering      sfc /scannow      in elevated cmd, run atleast 3 times and see whether it fixes.

• finlux
    Good point, brummyfan2 - something I hadn't thought of!
  • peter1212

Thank you guys but what is cmd elevated mode?

• finlux
    Right click cmd (in start menu) and click "Run as administrator"
  • peter1212

I am sorry I still do not understand.

I tried and i can't find run as administrator, on start i have command prompt, or command prompt admin.

then i can see a black window with some text there windows system 32...

and despite i chnaged the langauges maybe 5 times since 3 months i am still getting help in spain,whcih is not a language i am so familiar with...

I do not like the windows 8 start screen where i am always forwarded and i can't minimise the page or i lost my browser all the time. since i do not even wnat buy a new computer indeed, i am saying it in case some like to hear it...

• finlux
    Use Command prompt admin.

For what it's worth download and install Classic Shell. It gives a Windows 7 start menu and can disable the metro screen...
  • peter1212

i downloaded classic shell and i selected use command prompt admin, nothing has changed.

oh ok so now it is scaning.

• peter1212

here is teh result:

windows found corrupted files but could nto fixed them...

eeeeee.jpg

• Hi Peter,

You need to run at least 3 times. Start repeating the process again.

• peter1212

Ok thank you, I do it again twice then.

• peter1212

windows resource protection found ciorrupyted files but could not fixed them............................................note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarioa...

this is what i got after the thrid scans. no changes.

• Open cmd as Administrator, run the following command:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

when it finishes, run sfc /scannow again and see whether it fixes.

• peter1212

ok thanks i do it now.

i am still in the process but now if i wnat delete an image i got an error message saying you need the administrator permission to do this. and i can´t delete any images in folders. 

• Sorry, forgot mention that you need to reboot after running DISM command, then run sfc command.

This discussion has been closed.