Network adapter

Mosh48
Mosh48 Member Posts: 7 New User

I have just become the less than proud owner of an W510 as I cannot get it to connect to the internet. It told me “The Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO Adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems” so I downloaded the driver pack 2.12. When I unpacked it and ran it I just got an empty dialog box with an 'OK' button which I clicked and nothing happened. There is a log file in the driver pack that says "There is no res809.dll, now load the default res409.dll" but there  is a file called res409.dll in the pack. I ran the windows diagniostic and it is now saying it cannot find a driver for the network adapter and one isn't listed under network adapters in device manager. Can anyone help me sort this out please?

Best Answer

• Mosh48
    Answer ✓

Have decided to give up and send it back - Amazon happy to replace it and I should get the replacement within 2 days - well done Amazon!! Thank you for your help.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Mine works fine so is hard to say but I would try unpacking the driver package and try opening Control Panel, Device Manager.  select the Broadcom Driver, tell it to update, "Browse my computer.", and point it at the   \driversMI\drivers\wifi directory and see what happens.

If that does not work I'd next try an earlier version (back to 2.04 is available for download on the Acer support site - select "all".)

• Mosh48

Thank you for these suggestions. I first tried installing earlier versions of the driver pack but they won't set-up - they say they require 'docking and adapter'. I then reinstalled the driver and as you suggested and can now see the Broadcom network adapter in Device Manager. However I am back to getting the "SDIO Adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems” message. The error message in device driver is "this device cannot start (code 10)". 

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

1. For your first install, don't use the setup.exe at the root of the folder, but the second one in MI folder.

2. Delete Bluetooth and Wifi drivers in Device Manager and make a new install of 2.12 drivers manually or with the MI/setup.exe

3. Let your tablet plug in AC/DC during all install.

• Mosh48

I deleted all bluetooth and wifi drivers and ran the setup which reloaded the broadcom adapter but when I click on it in device manager it says this device cannot start (Code 10) ... so still no network connection!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Sure sounds as if you might have a hardware issue with the WiFi card. Is the bluetooth working OK?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett

"Code 10" is kind of a catchall usually when something already is using the reosouces the driver needs.It also can result from a device that is incompatible with the driver but doubt that it is the case here.

Did you add any hardware peripheral just before the failure started ? Is the W510 new or did it work for a while ? In any event any W510 should still be in warrenty.

• Mosh48

I didn't try bluetooth previously but I can't connect now - I see that the bluetooth drivers did not reload when I ran the driver pack. 

This is a brand new W510, fresh out of the sealed box and I didn't add any preriphal hardware - all I've done is ran the start up and tried to connect! 

• Philman

OK...

Plug in your W510.

Download the new Bios version (1.93). Unzip files.

In Device Manager:

- delete bluetooth drivers (activate BT before)

- delete Wifi card driver (network device)

Reboot your W510. Maybe system will ask you for installing drivers. Ignore it.

Go to: BIOS_Acer_1.93_A_A\Bios_Acer_1.93_W8x86\MI\setup.exe

Reboot your W510 at the end of install.

• Mosh48

Thanks. Followed those instructions but it is still showing the Broadcom adapter as experiencing problems.

• Philman

OK (bis).

Download this Driver Broadcom on my Dropbox (it's the latest Broadcom driver).

Unzip files.

Disable wifi.

Delete wifi driver and reboot tablet.

Install driver with the setup.exe

Enable wifi.

• Mosh48

Tried that, thanks, but now the Broadcom network adapter isn't even appearing in device manager even after enabling 'show hidden devices'. But the good news is that bluetooth now recognises my desktop!

• Philman

1/2 Smiley Wink

For network, install driver manually.

• Mosh48
    Answer ✓

Have decided to give up and send it back - Amazon happy to replace it and I should get the replacement within 2 days - well done Amazon!! Thank you for your help.

• Philman

It's a good solution.

Hope the next one will be better.

• padgett

Only thing I can think of that is simple is to try booting in safe mode with network (check boxs in MSCONFIG > boot) and reboot. Then see if it loads properly. If it does then go to Device manager and record what resources it is using.

Agree, Amazon is very good at making things right.

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Moved to new topic for better exposure.
This discussion has been closed.