Netbook Constantly Freezing

Deibu4u
Deibu4u Member Posts: 1 New User

TL;DR

I have an Aspire One D257 Netbook running Windows 7 Basic that keeps freezing for no reason.
Note- I can leave on desktop after logging in, and it will eventually freeze with no running programs.

Things done to get rid of problem...
-Factory Reset :STILL FREEZING

-Installed 2GB of RAM: STILL FREEZING

-Installed all neccessary drivers: STILL FREEZING
-Cleaned leaving no spec of dust, and applying fresh thermal paste to CPU: STILL FREEZING **Note - Lasted slighty longer
-Flashed Bios with update 1.16 : STILL FREEZING  **NOTE -Froze during windows starup update

Other Notes : CPU fan still runs during frees and my USB fan still runs also during these freeze ups. Possible video chip and or hard ware issue. 
-Evidence for possible hardware issue: Computer froze again during webcam preview came up and voice claibration started for skype

I'd like to mention that I have read on other forums that ACER support and communty blames all hardware issues on the customer, and takes no responsibilty on what happens. I'd like to not think that is not true, so you can change my mind by seeing to that this issue with this tiny netbook is fixed so I can use it with no problems. This is only incase it is a hardware issue, and unless ACER support and community can find a solution if it is a hardware issue.

Incase that does happen, I am saying that my sister rarely used this netbook, and was left in its box, gathering dust in storage since the Summer of 2011. I have found it, and tried to use it on June 29th 2014.

Full Story

I have found my sister's old Aspire One D257 Netbook. She was meant to use the computer for school but she never really found use for it. Now she is gone, I just took it, and start playing with it I guess.

Before using it for myself, I was going to nuke it and install windows 8 but I realied it had no CD drive. Oh well, so I just factory reset it, and removed any unwanted factory programs.

Next, I used slim dirvers to install all needed drivers. During the last few updates is when I experianced problems with said freezing. Nothing would work, so I would have to shutdown the computer by holding the power button. 

I thought once installing ALL drivers. The problem would stop. WRONG!

The computer would still keep on freezing. The first thing I did to deal with this problem is to put in 2GB of ram instead of 1GB. That didn't help at all.

Next, I took everything apart. All the way down to the MOBO. I made sure to not leave a spec of dust in every part. I even put in some fresh thermal paste for the CPU. It seemed like it worked for a good half hour after turning it back. I was able to install Google Chrome wih no problems. The next few programs were Skype and spotify. (Which is all I intend to have on the computer) I started the installer for skype, and as it was installing, IT FROZE.

I got alittle mad and gave up for while. I searched on the interent, and found that others were having problems with freezing with no reason. I found no clear solution, but I decided to flash the bios with Bios update 1.16 I think. It said it improved thermal calibration. I did this and let it boot. Windows had to update before startup, and guess what. It froze during updating! I was so mad. I shut of the computer (even though it said to not to) The next time, the computer was able to get updated, and no new problems arose form shuting off during updating. 

This time, since the installer is downloaded, I decided to attempt to install skype. I made it through the installation, and actually logged into my skype account. I began calibration, and as the camera, and mic came on, the computer froze.

From that moment, I believe it may be a hardware issue. Might be the video chip, because the CPU fan is still running during these freezes.

Answers

• Kyler
    Kyler Member Posts: 66

Tinkerer

Sounds like you have tried pretty much everything. Does it freeze before you install chrome and spotify? Spotify makes my regular notebook run slow, so I can imagine on a netbook, it may cause problems.

This discussion has been closed.