Need to replace HD Aspire 5349/No Recovery Disc..what are my options?

joeuno
joeuno Member Posts: 5 New User

Hard drive crashed, i m not sure where or what to purchase that is compatable ..Plus i didn t make a Recovery Cd not sure where i can get one to restore everything including the operating system .

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi....

As per specification details this model supports 250/320/500/640/750 GB or larger hard disk
    You can use the recovery disc to install the Operating System, all the pre-installed Software and the drivers of your system.

If you have a unit from US or Canada, you may purchase the recovery disc from Acer store :Acer Store
    If you have purchased the computer in any other country, you may contact Acer support here : Acer Global Support

• joeuno

Thank you Ally for your reply.I haven t had much success using the Acer store... i enter  my SNID  and when i hit proceed it disappears...go through the whole billing process and hit proceed and  screen fail to move to next step  , Over all not very impress with  Acer online experience    , are there any 3rd party vendors     that really work ?

• PennyK
    PennyK Member Posts: 5 New User
    You can do the OS and Acer driver install from scratch if you wish, it's not that hard, it only takes a bit more time and you need another working PC with a DVD burner to get started.
    Post back if you want instructions.

• jjmIII
    jjmIII Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

joeuno

Do you have a Windows Key sticker on the machine with the code?

My new Acer has NO Windows sticker. Making it impossible to do a fresh install with a simple Windows 8.1 DVD. Really annoying and the first time I've seen this.

• PennyK
    W8 does not come with the key on the outside of the machine.
    It is possible to get them.
  • joeuno

I    tried to purchase the  acer recovery cd, to be honest i have no idea if they took my order correctly .So Yes i would  be grateful for your instructions just  in case what they send  me doesn t work . Thanks in advance Joe

• PennyK
    It's a long toutorial.......Proceeding in 5 stages.

1st, DL all your nessary notebook drivers from Acer, only Acer, make sure you have the correct 32 or 64 bit drivers.
    2nd, DL from Digital River the appropriate W7 version that came with your notebook, again, pay close attention to 32 or 64 bit, get the UPDATE WITH SP1 INCLUDED.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

This part is really important, DO AN MD5 OR A SHA256 on the W7 ISO you DL'd.

Post back when this stage is compleated.
  • joeuno

I recieved the  4 disc recovery  material i purchased from  ACER.  I followed the printed instruction i received  with the discs > Step one...   System  Disc   seemed to go  ok ,brings me  to a screen  with recovery options....but when i  get to the point where prompted  for  Recovery disc 1  when in stalled  it kicks out with  an  "Insert Recovery Disc 1" prompt  ..................... as i expected  Acer didn t send me the  right  material  for my specific system , as it didn t  recognize   The Purchased  Recovery discs

• joeuno

I can t do any of  what you suggest  even if i did follow   you , all i get  when i turn on the machine is Boot Mgr Missing , thats even using the recover disc that  I got for Acer

This discussion has been closed.