Need to know about PQService Drive.

NewLady
NewLady Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello.  I'm a new user of an Acer desktop, and of Windows 7.  I came from another brand of computer and Windows XP.

Should I have System Protection turned on or off under "System Properties" for this PQ Service drive?  I think the protection is Windows 7 Firewall, but I also have Kaspersky.  Also, is this what is showing up  in Task Manager under "Performance" that looks like another drive graphed?  

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.  I'm just trying to understand my system.

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

The PQService drive is a partition on your hard drive that contains the recovery files to restore your system should you encounter problems. We do not recommend making any changes to this partition, as it may prevent future recovery efforts. This is the drive listed in Task Manager under performance that you are seeing.

• NewLady

Thank you for your response.

How would I access  this drive if I should have need?

• guzmanway
    guzmanway Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same question but your answer was: "We do not recommend making any changes to this partition...".

Do you mean the protection settings should be ON or settings should be OFF?

Or do you mean: DO NOT CHANGE manufacturer's pre-set position; just leave the setting whether it is ON or OFF?

I have never changed the settings:

The System Protection for PQSERVICE is turned OFF

Disk Space Usage is: 0 bytes for Current Usage; and 0% (0 bytes) for Max Usage

The C: Drive protection is pre-set to ON.

I'm a little confused. Not even sure it really matters much if it has NEVER been turned ON or how it even affects my computer's efficiency and speed or my overall experience. Thanks for any clarifications..

• NewLady

Hello...

I'm afraid I can't help you much, when I learned what the PQService Drive was, I didn't adjust anything about it, just left all settings as they were.

Perhaps someone more informed than I am can help you.  Perhaps if you just wait, someone will turn up with an answer for you.

New Lady

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Leave the partition settings as it was when you got it. I believe it should be set to off. If you haven't changed it, we don't recommend changing it.

The PQService drive is an area on the hard drive where recovery files for the system are stored. The only way we recommend accessing the files is using the Acer Recovery Management. You can launch this program by going to the start screen and doing a search for Recovery, and selecting Acer Recovery Management. This program allows you to completely restore your system, or reinstall drivers and applications. It is only designed to be used if you are having problems with your system, or are trying to restore it to the way it was when you bought it.

• NewLady

Thank you, Acer Blaym.  Perhaps your information will help Guzmznway.  I am all set and O.K. now.

New Lady

This discussion has been closed.