Monitor information

bsodcsi
bsodcsi Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all, I have a quick question that I can't find the answer to anywhere on the web. Im interested in buying a Acer S236HLtmjj from Newegg but I can't find the specs on if this is Glossy, Antiglare or Matte finish. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Andy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009514

Answers

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter

Looks like a pretty nice monitor (especially for that price), aside from lacking a DVI port, but your question is interesting - I assume you're refering to the screen?  In which case, I'd direct you to the 'panel' spec which is the only way (afaik) to come close to answering your question. Most computer monitors are either TN or IPS. TN is older (but generally trusted more), cheaper, and has great response times...but bad viewing angles - possibly considered 'matte'. IPS panels are newer, a bit more expensive, and generally don't have good response times (though 6ms is pretty good)...but have very rich color - possibly considered 'glossy'. Just my opinion, though...

Edit1: Not sure if you know (worded oddly), but Antiglare is the same as Matte.

Edit 2: This 'option' generally revolves around laptops and their screens - not desktop monitors. So you likely won't see this anytime soon on a spec-sheet...

• bsodcsi

Thank you for that info, however it doesn't answer my question. The specs do not state if it is matte or glossy and that is something I need to know before purchase.

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter

Well, you've inspired me to conduct a rather exhaustive search. Congrats - you're right, in that there's a difference between the 'panel' and the 'panels finish' on seemingly all computer monitors. However, I've been unable to find an absolute answer beyond all certainty at this juncture concerning your specific choice, but I'm fairly convinced that it's a matte finish. Not only do all of my previous Acer monitors (of a similar design and quality) appear to be matte, but also all the comparable monitors that I've looked into on the market from other manufacturers are matte.

Lastly, I was able to get a message sent Acer Support without requiring an S/N, so hopefully that will answer it once and for all - will edit this post with that update (supposedly within 24hr.).

• bsodcsi

Thank you for all your research on this. I asked because most IPS monitors seems to fall under the glossy panel and not the matte. I hope you can determine 100% one way or the other for me. I myself tried to ask a question but without the SN# it won't let me ether.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

• Cammo
    Cammo Member Posts: 1 New User

Why don't mfg & resellers post this in their descriptions? I want Glossy and I've sent back countless numbers of monitors because they were Matte. It took me a while to read closely enough to see they were describing the **bleep** bezel as "glossy" on some...

This discussion has been closed.