Ima Newbie

dennism
dennism Member Posts: 3 New User

I have a Acer Extensa 5230e and my daughter has been using it.  The downside is that it has slowed tremendously, and I never got the backup discs done.  I want to format the hard drive and start over.  What do I need to do to get all the drivers and software prior to this cleaning?

Best Answer

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Welcome aboard, Ima. There are several possible causes of your problem, so you might want to try the simple ones first.

BEFORE EACH STEP, SET A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT!

1) Run a deep scan with your anti-virus program.

2 )Download and install the free Malwarebytes program. It does not interfere with any antivirus program (including Windows Defender) and do a deep scan with it.

3) Download and install the Free CCleaner program. Unlike some registry cleaners, it does not go deep enough to destroy valuable files, so you will not have to reformat after you run it.

4) Download and install the free Win Patrol program. It will tell you your start-up programs. Disable, but do not Delete, ones you don't want. Do not disable anything from Microsoft or Acer.

By the time you have completed all four steps, your problem will probably have disappeared.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Welcome aboard, Ima. There are several possible causes of your problem, and you might want to try some simple solutions first.

SET A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT FIRST!

1) Run a deep scan with your antivirus program.

2) Download and install the free Malwarebytes program and run a deep scan. Malwarebytes does not clash with any antivirus program.

3) Download and install the free CCleaner program and run it. Unlike some registry cleaners, CCleaner does not go deep enough to destroy valuable files, so you will not have to reformat after you run it.

4) Download and install the free Win Patrol program. This program will show you your start-up programs and allow you to Disable them. Do not Delete them for a few weeks, until you're sure that everything is all right. And do not Disable anything from Microsoft or Acer.

By the time you're done these four steps, your problem will probably be gone.

• Raksawaits77
    Raksawaits77 Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hi, Ima.

If you need to format the hard drive and reinstall the Operating System, create the recovery discs for the computer before that. Acer computers are shipped with a hidden partition that enables you to burn your own set of

recovery media/installation media. The recovery media will reinstall the Operating System, all pre installed applications and drivers for the computer.

Steps to create the recovery Media.

Windows 8:  http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26287/kw/windows 8 recovery discs

Windows 7: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12866/kw/recovery discs

Thanks..

Rakesh

• dennism

Thank you, it was a real help to hear it from someone who's been there. :-)

• dennism

Along with the previous response, I was able to do a complete cleaning and restore.  Thanks.

• Raksawaits77
    Raksawaits77 Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

Hi, Ima.

We are really happy to hear that: Smiley Happy

Thanks

Rakesh

This discussion has been closed.