The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.
04-12-2013 08:16 AM
04-12-2013 04:18 PM - edited 04-12-2013 04:21 PM
After charging all night my tablet refused to reboot past the acer/android screen text. It would just hang at the android label on screen and then power down after 5 minutes. My Tab was unrooted and running the latest stock android version.
I was able to get my A500 to reboot using this method:
NOTE. THIS PROCESS SEEMS TO DELETE ALL USER DATA AND RESET THE TABLET TO NEW FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS.
1. plug in tablet to wall charger
2. power off tablet
3. place the screen rotation lock switch in the UP position (closest to the volume rocker switch above).
4. press and hold the volume UP rocker switch (the part on top, nearest the tablet top). I have seen some descriptions say push this rocker switch down.
5. hold the power button on at the same time until it vibrates (about 3 seconds).
6. let go of the power button while still pressing the volume switch
7. at the same time start moving the rotation lock switch rapidly back and forth, while still pressing the volume switch.
8. do this until you see the user and data cache cleared message display at the top of the screen (it may appear only briefly). You need to let go of the switches right after this message, before the acer label appears. If I held the switches too long, the procedure would loop back and the same data cache message would appear again. It may take a couple tries to get these steps done in the right order. Repeating them doesn't seem to hurt anything on the tablet.
9. the acer banner will next appear and on my tablets proceeds into the android booting sequence (this took a few minutes to get all the way through the boot process to the new setup screen).
10. for me the tablet eventually came back on to the new user setup screen. It appears to be so far working as expected (2 days later).
This link below also describes the same process and may have some other helpful information.
This has worked for me so far. Maybe it's a fluke, maybe it won't last, but I had written off my A500 as bricked, so I had nothing left to lose by attempting this.
Your results may vary of course, and you try this at your own risk with no guarantees it will fix your situation.
04-12-2013 07:52 PM - edited 04-12-2013 07:56 PM
areyto19 and imladris123 , I know in my case that I was able to reset my Acer and get it working again, only to see it die after a week or so. Then I have to re-set again (loosing all my stuff). I am done doing that. There is a bigger issue here that needs to be adressed by Acer. Let us know though if you guys get like a month out of it or if it the error happens again.
04-12-2013 10:14 PM
We understand that many of our valued customers are still experiencing issues with their Iconia A100 or A500 tablets.
If you have an Iconia A100 or A500 which is failing to boot or is frozen and/or stuck at the boot screen, there is a knowledge base article that we would like you to review and use: My Android Tablet will not boot
If, after reviewing and executing the recommendations in this article, you are still encountering issues, you will need to contact your local Acer service center.
For those customers in the United States and Canada who have issues contacting support, please use the Fix My Acer website to set up service for your system.
Important Links: Global Support Pages | Knowledge Base Articles
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.
04-12-2013 11:46 PM
04-13-2013 01:49 AM
04-13-2013 02:16 AM
Hold on, folks,
Send your unit back for repair, ask for an estimate, include your email adress,
and wait and see.
I plan to.
There is a chance that ACER might redeem themselves.
04-13-2013 02:34 AM