eric_1
eric_1 Member Posts: 2 New User

Answers

• kazuki
    kazuki Member Posts: 1 New User

no answers? I have the same problem

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

It might help to know the symptoms. For example, black screen on powering up? After the OS load? Intermittent? Still under warranty? Etc?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RavaszAttila
    RavaszAttila Member Posts: 5 New User

I have the same problem. When i push the power button the fan starts to work but the screen is black :/ I read on the internet that i have to flash the BIOS, but how? I downloaded the latest BIOS update from your site. And how to continue ? please help me Smiley Happy 

PS. Sorry for my english ! Smiley Wink

• JackE

Before you try flashing the BIOS, have you tried to toggle the Fn+F5 key combination to turn the screen on and off?

If the toggle Fn+F5 toggle doesn't work, then get an HDMI cable and connect the HDMI port to the HDMI port in a TV display. Then toggle the Fn+F6 key combination to turn the TV screen on and off.

Report back before trying to do anything else.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RavaszAttila

yeah these "solutions" werethat  i tried as first. to switch on/off the display and to connect the notebook to a monitor with a VGA cable. but nothing happend. so do you know other solutions ? Thank you !

• JackE

Sorry, but I doubt the bios is your problem. It sounds more like the video adapter has failed. Unfortunately, this is an integral part of the motherboard. As a last resort, you can try flashing the bios but I don't think it'll help. If you downloaded the bios, it's probably a compressed .exe file that must be run in order to extract the actual bios file which should have an .fd extension and a program called fla**bleep**.exe. Copy both files to the root directory of a USB drive. Plug USB drive in with the power off. Then press the Fn & Esc key. While continuing to press these keys, press the power button. Continue holding the Fn & Esc keys until you see the USB activity light. Then let go and allow the flash to proceed.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RavaszAttila

I downloaded the bios, but there isn´t a  file with .fd extension. When i extract the .zip file there are in the DOS folder these files:  ACERACDC.exe ; JV50_111.rom ; JV50_111.wph ; JV50-PU_111_CRISDISK.zip ; phlash16.exe . I tried to copy these files to the root directory of a USB drive and plugged it into the notebook and continued as you wrote upper. But nothing happend. The display was black and the USB activity light didn´t shine. So now i definetly don´t know what to do. Maybe i will send the notebook to the service. What is your opinion?  thanks for helping me ! Smiley Happy

PS. one of my friends told me that i should remove the BIOS battery, wait a couple of minutes and put it back. Do you think it will help ?

• JackE

Re-name the .rom file to an .fd file on the USB drive and try it again. If it still doesn't do anything, I suggest you google each file you found after extracting the zip file and search for a boot flashing procedure that is Phoenix-bios specific on your machine.

As for removing the bios or cmos battery, you have nothing to lose by trying it. It's made with button cells and has a pigail that's plugged into the motherboard.

Again, I really don't think the bios is the problem but given the no-video situation, there's no harm in trying.

Good luck.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• RavaszAttila

Now i tried everything Smiley Frustrated But nothing happened . It´s still black. Thank you for help ! Smiley Happy I will have to give it to a service Smiley Frustrated I´m really curious what is wrong in the notebook, and how will they fix it.  Again, thank you ! Have a nice weekend!

• JackE

Thank you! Let us know what they find. I hope it's simple and not something like the motherboard

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

oops

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

I found this regarding the 5536. One might find it interesting.

http://www.bgamods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=590

On one of my laptops, it has a separate gpu card. When I bought it, it didn't light

up either. I hooked it up to an external monitor and got video. This told me the

card was faulty. I pulled the card, built a little tin foil frame, placed the card

in the oven at 350f for around 10 mins, pulled the card, let it cool down, installed

it, and booted the laptop. Surprise, I had video on the laptop.

What happens many times on laptops is they get hot and the solder around the gpu

breaks down causing the gpu chip to stop working. The remedy sometimes is a repair

called "reballing". It is not for the faint of heart, but can be done at home with the

proper tools. It's better in my opinion to send it to a shop who does reballing.

If one wants to know what's involved, google reballing laptop motherboard. The

motherboard for the 5536 has a soldered to board gpu, or integrated gpu.

When I go through a laptop, I make sure to use the best thermal paste I can locate

and usually shim the gpu to heat sink with a copper shim. There are a number of thickness's

avail. This works pretty good.

Were the 5536 mine, I would plug in an external monitor and boot up. If you get video

on the external monitor, then you can pretty well figure it's a gpu prob, a backlight prob,

wiring from the backlight to inverter, the inverter, wiring from the motherboard to

inverter and/or 40 pin screen connection, or the screen itself.

If it's the gpu, one can find a shop who will repair it for around $100.00 +/-.

• RavaszAttila

the graphic chip has brooken down Smiley Frustrated  So i will try to buy a new or used motherboard and replace it Smiley Happy thanks guys for help!  Smiley Happy

• JackE

Sorry about that. But it seems like you have little or nothing to lose at this point by trying some of n2gc's above suggestions on the MB. I'm thinking of a toaster over with an oven thermometer to set the temp accurately.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.