Help, my laptop is not charging all the way to 100%

kawaiikitty
kawaiikitty Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire that I have had for almost 3 years now. Just recently I noticed that when I plug in my charger it will say "charging" but the fullest amount it will charge to is 57%. I tried turning off my computer and taking the battery out and starting up again, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any solutions? I'm in college and I really don't want to have to buy a new battery.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

As ScottyC said, you may well need a new battery.

Certainly at ~3 years old, it's capacity is likely to be well down.

I would suggest though, if you do 'bite the bullet' and opt for a new battery you avoid the cheap(ish) clones.

My experience was not good. A clone for my Fujitsu lasted all of 3 or 4 months and it was 100% dead!

Pay the extra and buy the 'right' one!

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Considering the age of your computer I'll go ahead and assume you have Windows 7. To start you're going to need and then go into device manager. Easy way to get there if you don't know how is to hit the Windows key and the letter R and typing devmgmt.msc in the box that pops up. Under device manager delete anything you see in the battery section. Once everything is deleted power off the computer. Power it back on and start tapping on F8. There should be a menu that asks you to choose an option. Select Safe mode with the arrow keys on your keyboard and hit enter. Once Safe Mode loads unplug the computer from the power supply and let it sit until the battery dies. Once it's dead plug the unit back in and power it back on into normal windows. Now let the battery charge all the way. This should reset the battery and let it charge more if not to 100%. If this doesn't work the battery is dying and you'll need a new one.

• kawaiikitty
    Thanks i will see if this works
  • kawaiikitty
    unfortunatly it didnt work, but thanks!
  • Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

As ScottyC said, you may well need a new battery.

Certainly at ~3 years old, it's capacity is likely to be well down.

I would suggest though, if you do 'bite the bullet' and opt for a new battery you avoid the cheap(ish) clones.

My experience was not good. A clone for my Fujitsu lasted all of 3 or 4 months and it was 100% dead!

Pay the extra and buy the 'right' one!

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Very good point Alan, it's actually a bigger deal than just quality. The standards are sub par in the shops that make the knock offs. Lithium batteries are highly reactive as they have a much higher energy density. Where a bad batch of Nickel Cadmium batteries will just die out quick, a bad batch of lithium batteries may actually explode.  Not as in leak, I mean physically catch fire and vent flaming gasses. The risk is MUCH higher while charging. One of the reasons this happens is because the barrier in the battery that seperates the chemicals are not held to the same standards as high end manufacturers. If there is a short within a cell it can allow these energy charged materials to connect which causes a sudden discharge (thermal runaway). 

During a thermal runaway, the heat of the failing cell can burn into the next cell, causing it to become unstable as well. In some cases, this causes a chain reaction. A pack can get destroyed within a few seconds or linger on for several hours as each cell is consumed one-by-one. To increase safety, packs are fitted with dividers to protect the failing cell from spreading to neighboring cells, as well as protection circuits. There are also several tests that batteries have to pass in order to be considered safe, and none of these tests are done to the knock off models. Many of them aren't even fitted with protection circuit and the dividing layers are of low quality.

Also, not too long ago a woman in Rochester was killed in a house fire caused by an iPhone, which had a third party battery installed. And many people have been badly burned because they chose to use cheap knock off batteries.. Spend the extra money and don't risk your safety.

• I must admit, I didn't realise they were quite so volatile. I'd forgotten the Dreamliner!! Given that Aviation quality batteries must surely be 'top flight' (no pun intended) yet can still catch fire, it's a wonder we don't hear more horror stories.

In my case I was only hit in the pocket but it could have been so much worse as it clearly has been for some others.

I will only buy OEM now. Cheaper in the long run.

This discussion has been closed.