Failed Bios Update. Acer 4752G.

momo25
momo25 Member Posts: 4 New User

Can someone post a complete Guide on how to Fix this "black screen" thing that happened to me during a failed bios update. i almost did everything ive seen from the net, except this .FD file which i dont know where to get. Please Help me. Smiley Sad TIA.

Best Answer

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

You're very welcome and don't worry about it, this sort of thing isn't exactly beginner level, and you're doing pretty well already. You are correct, you would have the .fd and the .rom files in the root of the USB drive. Just remember that the USB has to be formatted to FAT32. If it's NTFS it won't load (or it will, but it will install incorrectly again). It's easier to follow if you use a USB drive that has an activity light (lights up when transferring files) so that way when the actual recovery starts you'll be able to tell. There will be literally nothing on the screen until the install finishes, when you'll hear a beep and the system will restart (or shutdown). I hope this works out for you.

Take care!
    ScottyC

Answers

• ScottyC

You can get the .fn file from the Acer website under you product model in the BIOS download section. Download the Windows installer and extract the .zip. Search the extracted folder for the .fn file and copy it directly into the root of an empty fat32 formatted usb. Power off the device and plug in the USB drive to a free port (if there are USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports use the 2.0). Now press and hold FN and ESC and turn on the unit. Release the power button and keep the others held down. After about 20 seconds release the keys and let the computer run for 5-10 minutes. If this fails you may want to try the base bios .fn file (will be availble on the Acer site in the same location you found the current version). If this doesn't work you're likely looking at a repair case.

Good luck!
    ScottyC

• momo25

thank you for the reply. that is my main problem. i honestly cant find the .FN file. all ive seen after the extraction was

DOS (folder) inside this is aceracdc.exe, efildr16, je40217.rom je40217.wph readme.txt flash.bat and pflash.exe 

Windows (folder) inside this is je40217.exe

and a readme.txt file  

thats all, im stuck.. i dont see any .FN file Smiley Sad sorry if i miss something im just not good at this.

thanks again and godbless.

• ScottyC

Hi momo,

I'll point out that I made a mistake in my last post, though you were correct in your original post. It is an .fd file and not an .fn and the reason I said .fn is specifically because the steps call for FN and ESC. Sorry for the confusion.

The .rom is actually just the .fd folder with a different extension. So I would say go ahead and copy the .rom and rename the extension to .fd. Put both files in the root of the usb and try the steps out I gave you in the last message.

• momo25

im sorry too for the confusion.

one last thing sir, i just got lost with what i have to put in the usb.

so inside this is what it will look like.

".rom" and ".fd" (which renamed from the .rom file?)

sorry i got lost with the word BOTH that you've said from your last post. thank you so much for your time.

• ScottyC
    Answer ✓

You're very welcome and don't worry about it, this sort of thing isn't exactly beginner level, and you're doing pretty well already. You are correct, you would have the .fd and the .rom files in the root of the USB drive. Just remember that the USB has to be formatted to FAT32. If it's NTFS it won't load (or it will, but it will install incorrectly again). It's easier to follow if you use a USB drive that has an activity light (lights up when transferring files) so that way when the actual recovery starts you'll be able to tell. There will be literally nothing on the screen until the install finishes, when you'll hear a beep and the system will restart (or shutdown). I hope this works out for you.

Take care!
    ScottyC

• momo25

thank you so much sir scottyC. my laptop is up and running again Smiley Happy wew! bless you sir Smiley Happy

• ScottyC

You're welcome, glad I was able to help you out. Happy holidays and enjoy your newly functional 4752! Smiley Happy

• evelyn2714
    evelyn2714 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi
    Will you please explain step by step how you solve your aspire 4752G bios issue?
    I cannot find any JE40217.ROM
    mine is JE40215.ROM
    any suggested version of Bios file, also?

That would be so kind of you.

• jarisjay
    jarisjay Member Posts: 1 New User

same thing here, i need to rename the to what name??

This discussion has been closed.