F10 not working

leninewt
leninewt Member Posts: 11 New User

I have an Acer Aspire 5349-2592 running Windows 7.  It will not boot.  I have a set of recovery discs and have tried to recover from them using the standard proccess, start computer and press F10 when the logo appears.  That does not help, I get the start windows normally screen.  Any deas?

Best Answer

• leninewt
    Answer ✓

I replaced the hard drive after watching the video.  It was very easy.  Then recovered using the discs I had already obtained from Acer.  The computer works faster now!  Thanks again for your help.  Problem solved!

Leni

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Sorry. I mis-posted. Are there other options on the screen?

Try F2 at the logo to get the bios menu. Go to boot and set the CD/DVD drive as the primary boot. Then exit and save with the recovery disks in the CD/DVD drive.

Report back

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• leninewt

Thanks but I did try that.  The recovery disc doesn't seem to want to boot?  Any more ideas?  Anyone?  Please.

• JackE

Can you read what filenames are in the recovery disk root? Any executables?

Jack E/NJ

PS: Also try not pressing F10 when the CD/DVD drive is set to primary boot.

Jack E/NJ

• leninewt

Good question.  I cannot read the disc on my computer, it isn't working.  So I stuck it in "old relyable".  I couldn't find any executables.  OnlyWould they be hiding some where?

I tried not pressing F10 many times.

• JackE

Did you get these recovery disks from Acer?

Jack E/NJ

PS: I forgot to add, did you check the procedures on  http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-7-Recovery-options/ta-p/59667 ?

Jack E/NJ

• leninewt

There was in info there on this problem.  I believe I had seen that page before.  Some times the search seems to go round in circles!

• leninewt

Yes straight from the parent company!

• JackE

OK. For some reason, there seems to be a problem with some of the recovery disks. It's a bit of a hassle, but I recommended installing the generic version of Win7 as long as you have the Win7 product key code on the label at the bottom of the machine. Go to the 8th page of this link for a summary of the way it's done.  http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/eRecovery-Management-Need-Some-Help/m-p/208727#U208727

You can download and install the Win7 image for free for use on restoring the OS with either a bootstick or CD/DVD disk. How to do this is also found in the above link. Unfortunately, you must manually install some of the drivers specific to your Acer model but it's not that much of a hassle. After a certain amount of time of using the installed generic Win7 OS, you will get a notice to activate Win7 by calling an 800 number with the Win7 product key code on the bottom of the machine.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• leninewt

I found the recovery discs I had made for thr computer as well as a genaric windows disc I had used before.  None will boot.  I am going to take the computer to the shop unless some one can suggest some thing.  I had problems before with the hard drive, bad sectors were blocked out but I was warned it may come back to haunt me.

How hard is to replace the hard drive?

Thank you very much for your time and effort in this matter.

Leni

• JackE

Fairly easy to replace hard drive. The hardest part will be lifting the back cover off the plastic catches. Almost as bad as getting the top off of a cottage or ricotta cheese container --- could use an extra pair of hands. Here's the video for your model http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQByaFVQMQ

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• leninewt
    Answer ✓

I replaced the hard drive after watching the video.  It was very easy.  Then recovered using the discs I had already obtained from Acer.  The computer works faster now!  Thanks again for your help.  Problem solved!

Leni

This discussion has been closed.