Encryption help! I want to un-encrypt my ACER A210

Options
trainingwheels
trainingwheels Member Posts: 7 New User

I have tried Factory Reset to get rid of encryption, that doesn't work. The tablet appears to reset itself but, when rebooted, it asks for the decryption password... ?!?

I have ADBtools and all of those great tools on my PC... Can I use those to get the job done?

Anything, for that matter. 

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Answers

• roadwarrior796
    roadwarrior796 Member Posts: 273 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

You may actually have to wipe the tablet and return to new condition, I guess that is the whole point of encryption, here is a link you may find helpful : http://acer-ame.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29901/~/acer-iconia-a210-factory-data-reset

When you say that you have tried a reset, was that a soft reset or a complete data wipe and system restore, this will wipe all your personal details and info completely and can't be undone.

• trainingwheels
    Options

Thank you for your suggestion of the hardware reset. I tried it. It failed, for some reason, I'm still trying to firgure out why. Here's what happens with the hardware reset attempt.

I get into Clockwork Mod Recovery v6.0.1.8.

Choose Factory Reset.

Choose yes

Among other messages I see the following:

"Formatting  /sdcard/.android_secure...

Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!

Skipping format...

Upon rebooting the tablet boots to a screen asking for my password (to decrypt storage) after which the device boots to my 'desktop' with all of my information intact. The OS is untouched, tablet is still encyrpted.

I appreciate your help. 

Robert

• roadwarrior796
    Options

Your report of the wipe procedure is not one I recognise having wiped and rebooted quite a few android tablets, in my post above there is the link to the hard reset procedure using the power and volume buttons, is that the procedure you followed ?

• trainingwheels
    Options

Yes, I used the hardware reset method you described, but that failed to reset the sdcard memory.

But...

My problem was overcome by installing the latest version of Clockworkmod Recovery.

I rebooted into cwm recovery and used it to format data/sdcard.. It worked! After that was done I installed the latest jamesrom for the Acer a210. 

After the reboot I saw my old wallpaper, but GLORY! I had a fresh OS and stepped through the get up process for a new tablet. 

It's FAST again, like new! 

What a relief!

• roadwarrior796
    Options

Glad you got it sorted and are happy with your new fast tablet Smiley Happy

• trainingwheels
    Options

I hate to say this, but....

I just learned that Android 4.1.1 is suceptible to the Heartbleed bug. I am very conbrned about this... and I'm wondering what I can do. 

I suppose I could go back to ICS... I thnk I have the Acer image .zip somewhere. 

Is there any action from Acer on this? Are they perhaps going to release a KitKat image for the a210?

Thanks.

• roadwarrior796
    Options

Further to my other post concerning this there is an app which you can download from the play store, Heartbleed detector from Lookout Mobile Securities which will check the vulnerability of your device, furthermore, if you are using the Firefox browser, there is an "add on" which checks the sites you visit to tell you if they are safe to visit and not affected by the Heart bleed vulnerability.

This discussion has been closed.