Can I get widi on my aspire 5750g

MikeWhitworth
MikeWhitworth Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi 

I have just purchased but not yet unpacked ( so I can get my money back if itis not going to work ) A Netgear Push 2 TV ptv3000 it states on the packageing it requires a laptop to be capleable of Intel WiDi or miracast tm .

as far as I can tell my Aspire 5750g wit intel core i5-2450m does not have WiDi ? does it ? or can it be added ?

thanks in advance for any help/ advice 

regards 

Mike 

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

I would be surprised if the Intel software simply checked your WiFi drivers. It will almost certainly check physical hardware.
    If that is the case then 'WiFi adator not supported' is self explanatory. As I intimated in my earlier post, the requirement is for specific hardware and not 'suitable' software or drivers.

To double check, try running the Acre hardware detection program from the download site. In addition to that, you may also be able to get more information on the actual WiFi card from your device manager. Check your findings against the Intel compatibility list.

Unfortunately I don't have any technical info for your model so I'm unable to confirm which motherboard chipset you have.

Answers

• You can find the exact WiDi requirements here:

http://supportkb.intel.com/wireless/wireless-display/templates/selfservice/intelwidi/#portal/1026/article/2511

WiDi is an Intel creation that requires Intel hardware (with the addition of a subset of Broadcom WiFi adaptors). In theory, any machine employing compliant hardware simply requires the Intel software.

I have read of one individual who purchased a Lenovo laptop because it had a sticker claiming it supported WiDi. Unfortunately it was found not to work - it's CPU was not on the compatibility list!! Now that's what you call marketing! So, it appears some manufacturers don't even know. You can check you hardware against the Intel list and see if your machine fulfills the requirements.

Note also that you **must have** a '2011 Generation 2 TV adaptor' and a laptop with an Intel 6 or 7 series chipset to play protected content (and also for 5.1 surround sound). Without these, you are restricted to pictures and movies you have burnt yourself. You can check this here:

http://supportkb.intel.com/wireless/wireless-display/templates/selfservice/intelwidi/#portal/1026/article/2507/Intel-WiDi-features-and-requirements

As you can see, it's not really a question of whether it has WiDi or not. If you have the necessary hardware then, with the software, it may work. If you don't have the hardware then it can't be added.

• MikeWhitworth
    MikeWhitworth Member Posts: 2 New User

When i try to load the intel widi widget it fails saying" WiFi adator not supported" is their a way round this ie is it just the software to the wifi adaptor that is at fault or is it a hardware problem ?

Regards Mike

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

I would be surprised if the Intel software simply checked your WiFi drivers. It will almost certainly check physical hardware.
    If that is the case then 'WiFi adator not supported' is self explanatory. As I intimated in my earlier post, the requirement is for specific hardware and not 'suitable' software or drivers.

To double check, try running the Acre hardware detection program from the download site. In addition to that, you may also be able to get more information on the actual WiFi card from your device manager. Check your findings against the Intel compatibility list.

Unfortunately I don't have any technical info for your model so I'm unable to confirm which motherboard chipset you have.

This discussion has been closed.