Bluetooth Connectivity Issue, Win8.1/S5-391 Atheros Adapter

lonaysta
lonaysta Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi everybody,

Recently updated my Aspire S5-391 to Windows 8.1 (pre-installed Win 7 Home Premium x64, and did a clean intall for windows 8.1 from Image). I installed all of the latest drivers and found something wrong with bluetooth connectivity.

Initially I had the same problem as another member of the community who uses S7 and lost bluetooth device in the device manager completely as soon as updated to windows 8.1. However, I did a recovery for windows 8.1 and the bluetooth can be toggled on by pressing FN+F3 after the recovery. Afterwards, I tried to pair my Bluetooth mouse to the computer. The mouse I paired are Dell WM713 and Logitech T630, both of which works well with my Dell XPS 12 win8.1, whose Bluetooth adapter is Intel 7260.

Both of the mouses can be successfully paired, but later issues came. The mice suddenly lose connectivity and stop moving while using (not during idle period). swithcing the mice on and off would not reconnect the mice to the computer. However, this connectivity issue can be immediately resolved as soon as I go to Metro's PC Settings-PC and Devices-Bluetooth. Once the "Bluetooth" configuration page is opened, the mice are reactivated. 

I updated the driver of the mice and bluetooth adapter to the latest version and did some clean reinstallations but the issue persists. Besides, I found many other members complaining about bluetooth connectivity problems after upgrading to windows 8.1. All of these acer users have PCs with Atheros WLAN/Bluetooth adapter. I believe this is a recognized problem and I hope Acer can do something with Atheros to resolve this issue ASAP.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi...

You need to check in device manager if you have installed the Wireless LAN Driver (WLAN+Bluetooth driver) version 10.0.0.263.

• lonaysta

thank you for your reply.

but of course I have installed the driver since sometimes the mouth works and then drops connectivity..

• AracornRed
    AracornRed Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm having the exact same issue on my S3-391.  Bluetooth connectivity to my mouse and keyboard drops all the time.  But as OP said:

>this connectivity issue can be immediately resolved as soon as I go to Metro's PC Settings-PC and Devices-Bluetooth. Once the "Bluetooth" configuration page is opened, the mice are reactivated.

Which makes it very clear to me it is a driver issue.  Hope something can be done about it soon.

Running Windows 8.1 (upgraded from 8) on an S3-391 using the latest driver install BT_Atheors_v8.0.1.305_W8.1x64.

• lonaysta

thank you for your reply. actually I also have this problem now with my dell laptop running windows 8.1, and since upgraded to windows 8.1. Now I think it is a windows 8.1 problem rather than other things..

• MarsMa
    MarsMa Member Posts: 5 New User

When I download the driver, the driver has _A after.

Bluetooth_Atheros_v8.0.1.305_W81x64_A.zip

I try this driver, the installation will ask you to restart the system.

The problem has slightly improve that I have no drop when I keep using the keyboard and mouse.

Only happen once when I am not using it for 30 secs, then it drops but I keep hitting windows logo button on keyboard for around 10 secs.  It connects it back.  I don't have to tap the bluetooth icon on taskbar from touch screen to connect it back.  (I usually do it before that exactly the same method as yours)

At least, now you just keep hitting keyboard's windows logo button to reconnect it back.

I try this driver for 2 days.  Use it around 10 hours, I only get one drop. Compare to the previous, every hour, it drops two to three times in average.

I check gateway notebook that they use the same drivers but the format has slightly difference.  BT_DriverOnly.zip and Wifi_DriverOnly.zip are inside InstallCD folder.

I move BT_DriverOnly and Wifi_DriverOnly in InstallCD folder.

Then, I click setup.exe within InstallCD folder.

After the installation finishes, it will ask you to restart the system.

• MarsMa

I forgot to mention.  My model is Acer P3 171.

• MarsMa

My situation is slightly difference.  My Acer P3 171 is tablet that both keyboard and mouse are bluetooth.

So, let me try if I have drop again.  I will click mouse button to see does it connect it back.

• MarsMa

One day drops 2 to 3 times.  It is better than before but the driver doesn't solve the problem.

• MarsMa

Windows update released on a few days ago.

"Qualcomm Atheros Communication - Bluetooth Controller - Bluetooth USB module" (Windows Update Optional)

I hope this time will work.

• madesign54
    madesign54 Member Posts: 1 New User

Just dfound this issue with a S3-951, so common across the range - havent as yet fully researched this nor found any solutions.

Yes, the BT, works if you use the Acer fn+f3, but win8 doesnt recognise the BT stack!!!!

so more serious than thought, following up on similar issues with DELL, HP etc, it all seems to be an atheros issue...

typical

• play2mefish
    play2mefish Member Posts: 1 New User
    Spoiler
    I had this issue when I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 as well. I finally noticed that ACER's download page had an option for Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. If you select the Windows 8.1 option you will see a new bluetooth driver 8.0.1.305. The previous driver of .222 worked well with Windows 8 but not Windows 8.1.
    Spoiler

Spoiler
    Ran the setup, rebooted the laptop, and removed my old windows phone that I was trying to pair and repaired the windows phone and BAM! I can now connect and disconnect with ease and perform calling, listen to music, and transfer files. Hope it helps all of you with your issues.
    Spoiler

Spoiler

• nicovillafa
    nicovillafa Member Posts: 6 New User

SOLUCION: 

Yo resolvi mi problema con mi adaptador bluetooth, mouse logitech t630 y acer s3-391 con Windows 8.1 pro gracias a este driver, el driver del Bluetooth Qualcomm Atheros (Win81 64bits VER 8.01.306)

Con este Driver ya no hay micro cortes.

Suerte!

• AracornRed
    AracornRed Member Posts: 2 New User

Just to update, the Bluetooth driver update v8.0.1.314 posted here on Jan 2014 seems to have finally solved my Bluetooth issues for me.  It still seemed a little buggy at first and I'm not sure if a subsequent Windows Update addressed that, but in any case it's working well now - far fewer dropouts and the Bluetooth connection never stops altogether like it used to.

This discussion has been closed.