Aspire v5-552G-x414 slow internet

petro1412
petro1412 Member Posts: 2 New User
I've had my laptop for almost a year now and within the past 6 months the speed I can get on my WiFi is no more then 1-2mbps even though every other machine in my house is getting 15-20mbps.

Ove tried securing the WiFi cards antenna, reinstalling the WiFi driver, updating the bios and none of this worked.

II proceeded to buy a new netgear WiFi dongle assuming there must be a problem with te WiFi chip. This dongle worked for about a month but then the speed when using these drivers also dropped to 1-2mbp.

Ive tried virus scans and they are all clean. The only solution I have yet to try is to completely delete the partition on my hdd and reinstall Windows. But before I do that, does anyone have any less drastic options to try that I haven't already?

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

We recommend you to try connecting your device to some other Wi-Fi network (if you have not done this already) and see if you get better internet speed. If you get better speed on other networks, you can try one or more of the following steps to resolve your issue:
    1. Minimize the distance between your device and your router for better connectivity.
    2. If you have obstacles like walls, furniture, cordless phone etc. between your device and your router, you may not get good internet speed. Try bypassing these obstacles and see if it works.
    3. If there are multiple devices connected to your Wi-Fi network simultaneously, it may affect the internet speed on your Acer Aspire V5. To check if this is the reason behind poor internet connectivity, you can try connecting only Aspire V5 to your Wi-Fi network and disconnect all the other connected devices for a time being.

If you are not able to get good internet speed on other Wi-Fi networks too, you can try temporarily turning Off the anti-virus program or any other application in your system that may be restricting your internet connectivity. Before turning Off your antivirus application, please make sure that your computer is protected in some other way.

To explore some more ways to speed-up your device's Wi-Fi connectivity, you can refer to the following webpages:
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32747
    Important: Following webpage is of a third-party website. We recommend you to upgrade your security software thoroughly before clicking on the link. Also, please refer to only those troubleshooting steps that are applicable to your issue.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Speed-up-a-Slow-Internet-Connection

• petro1412
    petro1412 Member Posts: 2 New User

All of the above have been tried multiple times, it is not my router or internet speed that is causing the problem both are fine. My antivirus is also not causing it.

I'm fairly confident that it is Acer's firmware(which seems as bad as the build quality of this laptop) that is screwing things up, especially since, after doing some more research, this seems like a fairly common problem with Acer machines! I'm going to delete the partition on my drive and reinstall windows and see what happens. I'll post again once I do!

This discussion has been closed.