Aspire e1-571-6471 - Restore

dfust
dfust Member Posts: 4 New User

Boiling to frustration now..........

My Aspire E1 571 was a gift (new) about a year and a half ago.... past warranty.

1. It came with no recovery disks

2. It was pre-loaded with windows 8 

3. No windows product key

Anyway, it was working great up to about a month ago. When after "ignoring" update to windows 8.1 for free.... for the longest time. finally i just went ahead and did it. (upgraded to windows 8.1 from 8)

Well soon after doing so, 

1. it became sluggish

2. then it started to fail and reboot on its own

3. then I could not open explorer or go on the internet anymore

4. most of my "charms dissappeared"

5. Whenever i tried to access "advanced options" it crashed or had errors and could not start

6. eventually it was about 1 in 10 tries to actually boot up.

Finally I got in one time and saved all the files etc. that were of any importance on a usb drive and was going to attempt to restore from e-recovery.

I got in using alt - f10 and went to reset pc to factory. It got to 98% and crashed

After re-booting, it went all the way to the windows logon and it had in fact reset to factory... back to windows 8. However, it also wiped my logon name. So it comes up as "other user"

I tried a bunch of different user names passwords and none worked. It now boots up to the windows logon no problem and very quickly at that.

After searching around for solutions for the password...........

I was able after probably 20 tries, to access the recovery again using alt f10

(There I confirmed it was in fact windows 8 and not 8.1 any longer)

I accessed command prompt and did the "net user" thing and it showed 2 logons

Administrator and Guest

( i was able to use the administrator password "enter" to access cmd)

I chose Administrator and reset a password    

Thinking i had it solved, went back in and tried it........... did not work, like 20 times different variations

Then i read that Administrator user is automatically disabled.

Since then I figured I just need to go back to the command prompt and enable the Admin user.... problem is after trying literally 100 times or more I cannot get back to the recovery module... alt f10 will not work. It just ignores me every time no matter when i initiate it, it just keeps going directly to the windows logon.

I have read so many times that the recovery needs to be enabled from bios........ but having gone in there 100 times there is nothing that says enable recovery in bios anywhere.

My ratio for accessing recovery is about 3 times out of 200 tries.

and never mind about f8 for safe mode, ratio on that is 0 times out of 200 attempts

I am so freaking frustrated.

If anyone can help with this problem please suggest away!

thanks

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are having as lot of issue wiht your computer after upgrading to windows 8.1

Acer does not ship recovery disks with any computer. Instead, the harddrive on the computer has a recovery partition that can be used to execute recovery or to create recovery disks. If you have not created the recovery disc you have the option to purchase it from Acer store. it will install the Operating System, all the pre-installed Software and the drivers of your system.

No machine released with Windows 8 from vendor will come with a Windows 8 License sticker underneath, regardless of the brand. This is one of Microsoft's security measures to reduce piracy. The Product key is electronically stored in the firmware of your mainboard. So if you need to reset or reinstall Windows 8, you don't need to hunt for the product key. It's automatically applied and activated..

You also have the option to restore your computer from windows login screen from outside windows and using acer recovery managenet from inside windows.

Use the following steps to reset or get advanced option of Windows 8.
    Boot your computer to the windows login screen, click the power icon in the lower right corner of the screen
    While holding Shift, click Restart, Click Troubleshoot, Click Reset Your PC.
    Click Next, The system will reboot and begin Preparing to Reset the PC.
    At the Reset your PC screen, click Just remove my files, Click Reset.

Do get back to us and let us know the status of the issue by your next post or in case you need further assistance. We, at Acer strive towards excellence.

• dfust

Thank you for the reply,

When I try holding Shift, click Restart, It brings me to advanced option screen but with only 2 options

1. Continue to Windows 8

2. Turn off PC

The other options are not there ?

Ive tried both,

1. goes back to the logon

2. turns off the PC

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi..

This could happen when the computer is unable to acesses the recovery partition. You may once again try the previous steps from the windows login sceen.

You may also try the below mentioned steps :

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.  Follow the instructions on the screen.

• dfust

Ok, I gave up and ordered the recovery disks from this site.

I received them

and have now attempted to restore with the disks 3 times

at the end of the 3rd recovery disk i get this message

restore failed - can not find image path:c\images_tmp_dir\install.wim

So I am still screwed even after buying the recovery disks

• dfust

I went into recovery to the image recovery option... which it pops upo immediately telling me it cannot find an image and to insert a dvd....

So i inserted one of the recovery disks, and it says wrong disk.... but tht is irrelevant. Having a disk in, it allowed me to access the drives... in windows format

When I click on the C drive || ACER (CSmiley Happy it opens to 3 things (files of type = Setup Information)

IMAGES_TMP_DIR - folder 

WINDOWS - folder

Recovery - text

So the image its says it cannot find,  is in fact there right where it is looking but says it can not find image path:c\images_tmp_dir\install.wim

Someone please help with this, I cannot afford to drop another grand on a new comp

This discussion has been closed.